Convert logo to 300dpi?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I have a 500 x 68px web logo here I need to convert from 72dpi to 300dpi for print.

I've used PS CS3 to open the logo, go to Image>Image Size and then simply untick "Rescale Image" and change the dpi value to 300 and then save as a jpg.

Is that sufficient for printing?.

Soldato
The DPI resolution is simply a scale factor between physical dimensions and pixel dimensions; the resolution isn't an inherent property of an image and you can't just "convert" it. When people say an image should be at least 300dpi for print, what this means is that the pixel dimensions of the image should be sufficient to produce whatever physical dimensions you want at 300dpi. If they're not then there's nothing you can do about it, short of finding a bigger copy of the image.

If it's 500 x 68, then at 300dpi the image will be about 42mm x 6mm. See here for a calculator.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly, open photoshop, open new, set the dimensions to what size you want to print at and change the DPI to 300. That's how big your logo should be without upscaling it.

You'll need a vector copy of your logo to do that.

Soldato
Yeah, it's a right pain. I've been there before. If you're going to use a logo for print, always design it in Illustrator or a vector graphics app if you can.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tip.

The problem being is the guy who I did the website for didn't ask for the logo in both web and print form at the start.

Then he emails me out of the blue on Tuesday to say he urgently needs a 300dpi version for his printer today for some exhibition stand he has hired for this weekend.

Talk about short notice. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom