Which Hard Drive/SSD

Associate
Hi,
I am going to upgrade my computer. I got a core i7 and have never got it over 50% usage but my ati 3 series graphics and hard drive are letting me down. I was wondering which would be better a 150GB VelociRaptor, Crucial M225 64GB, Intel X25-M 80GB or another one? I want the fast load times and I don't really write large files to the hard drive unless I'm converting video. Will 64GB be enough? All I will need to store is windows 7, office 2007, visual studio pro, 10GB of music and perhaps a game, the rest I can use my external esata drive for. Which one would you recommend for my needs? I also noted the crucial drive has a 5 year warranty and I could maybe stretch for the 128GB version of it.

Associate
64 GB would be enough for your OS and your Apps. Ideally you would want to use the SSD solely for things like your OS and Office etc and store your games and files on other drives.

I'm looking at an 80GB Intel SSD for my OS and Apps, 2 1TB drives in RAID for storage and probably a velociraptor for my games.

The key with SSD at the moment is you want to be using it for its read speeds and not writing too much too them all the time

Associate
OP
Sorry for another post but do you think the money would be better spent on an ssd or buying the 5870 instead of the 5850?

Associate
i'm going for the Intel but i'm sure the 64GB Crucial is perfectly good too - plenty of people are impressed in the Crucial SSD thred

Back
Top Bottom