Purchasing an Airsoft AEG - defences

Associate
Right, I'm off to The Mall airsoft site in Reading in November (and really looking forward to it :D). I'll be borrowing one of my mates guns for this visit.
However, if I enjoy it, I intend to really get into the hobby and purchase my own AEG. I know lots of people who go and I haven't got an awful lot of hobbies at the moment.
Now the thing I am unclear on is all this UKARA malarkey. As I understand it, you don't actually need to be UKARA registered to buy an AEG, but have to provide a reasonable defence for purchasing one. If I was to go so an airsoft shop and try and purchase one, what kind of evidence would I realistically need? Do I take some sort of proof that I went airsofting at the mall, such as a booking form or signed document type thing? Or can I just go in to the shop and say "I'm a skirmisher. It will be used at airsoft sites only"?

Can anyone in the know here guide me, without having the jump through all the hoops for UKARA membership?

Associate
I think you would have to go skirmishing several times over a couple of months in order for you to get ukara registered. I believe most retailers will not sell any airsoft products to you unless you are registered (i'm not even sure if they can). I don't think there is any reasonable defence thing. You could have course buy a brightly coloured aeg so it doesnt fall under the Realistic firearms law.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't think I'd enjoy running round with a bright green AEG though :p.
From what I've read from a few old threads on here, UKARA has absolutley no legal power whatsoever. It was created by a few airsoft retailers to try and making buying an airsoft gun fall in line more clearly with the new laws or something. I want to avoid UKARA since going skirmishing several times over a couple of months just isn't going to be possible all the time. We are all working or studying so getting a date together for all of us to go is hard.

Associate
The requirement is three skirmishs over a period of no less than two months when i got registered. The thing is it's only a defense and nohting more, whilst the UKARA holds no real legal power it is taken into account. You can own a RIF without registration, but it's only illegal for someone to sell it to you i believe.

The only work around i can see for you if for one of your registered friends to buy and store your RIF for you and you 'borrow' it when you do go to a site. As as you'd keep to that i don't know, i'm sure i wouldn't. But how other people as witnesses to you going skirmishing would hold as a defence is not something i would like to test in a courtroom.

PS: I and a few friends might be going to the mall at the same time too, so maybe I/we shall seeyou there.

Soldato
You don't need to be registered with UKARA, you just need to be a member of an airsoft site. You'll have to go 3 times in 2 months at the same site to join, and need to go at least once a year to maintain membership.

I'm a member at South yorkshire airsoft, but not in UKARA.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
as the other posters have mentioned, you don't need to be UKARA registered to buy a RIF, but the majority of airsoft stores play it safe and only sell to UKARA registered people, even if they have other evidence of being regular airsofters.

i mean, there's no point not registering, it's no more of a hassle than becoming a site-member (and my main airsoft-site has joint-membership, when you join the site they put you on the database anyway).

glad you're joining the sport, i reccomend you get something made by JG (like the JG G36c) as your first gun, and don't be tempted to open it yourself.

Associate
OP
Was thinking about a TM AK-47 when I do buy. Reviews seem good. Not that expensive to buy and apparently very reliable. Anyway, I'll try and have a chat with the guys at The Mall and see what they have to say about the best way of doing it. I don't mind too much going for UKARA, it's just it'll be tough for us to go 3 times in 2 months.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Was thinking about a TM AK-47 when I do buy. Reviews seem good. Not that expensive to buy and apparently very reliable. Anyway, I'll try and have a chat with the guys at The Mall and see what they have to say about the best way of doing it. I don't mind too much going for UKARA, it's just it'll be tough for us to go 3 times in 2 months.
no no no, it's not three times in two months, it's three times in a period GREATER than two months :)

the TM AK-47 was a great AEG in it's time, but the china-AEG's surpass it in style, price and effectiveness.

if you're looking for an AK of some sort, look into the Cyma CM.028 if you like the AK-47 look, or the CM.031 if you like the somewhat more modern look.

personally, i think the CM.031 looks the business :D

Associate
OP
Ahh. That'll make things easier then. In that case, how will I be able to prove to UKARA that I've been? Do I get a signed note from the airsoft site owners each time I go or something?
As for which airsoft gun to get, well I guess I've got quite a bit of time to look around. I'll spend some time on Arniesairsoft forums. Seems to be the best place to get info and reviews. That cm.031 does look qutie tasty actually.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Ahh. That'll make things easier then. In that case, how will I be able to prove to UKARA that I've been? Do I get a signed note from the airsoft site owners each time I go or something?
As for which airsoft gun to get, well I guess I've got quite a bit of time to look around. I'll spend some time on Arniesairsoft forums. Seems to be the best place to get info and reviews. That cm.031 does look qutie tasty actually.

i'm on the ArniesAirsoft forums btw (same username).
when you do to a site enough times, they'll sign you up/into the database.

the UKARA is pompous organisation that only deals with retailers/sites - not mere mortals.

Associate
OP
My mates all bought their guns before the imitations firearm law was introduced. I don't know if any are UKARA registered. I know none of them have gone for about a year or so. This is something of a revival.
So, when I go to a site, they will add me as a member and then log how many times I come and after 3 are fulfilled I can apply for UKARA membership through the site? Sound right?

Associate
Why not go to the UKARA website and do some reading up? :rolleyes:

http://www.ukara.org.uk/node/2

If you want to become UKARA registered (not a necessity but useful nonetheless) print the form out, play three games in a period of no less than two months and get the form filled out and stamped by the site you play at.

eyyaz, you can be gifted a RIF or IF, but you'd be breaking the law if you gave your mate any money in exchange for it. Well, actually, as the seller he'd be breaking the law...

EDIT:

While I'm at it, here's the relevant legislation...

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060038_en_1

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/pdf/uksi_20072606_en.pdf

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/publications/home-office-circulars/circulars-2007/031-2007/

Associate
Whatever you do, don't buy a two tone and take it to a First And Only site as they've banned them.

You don't have to be in UKARA to buy a RIF, it's just that's the easiest way to prove you're a legit airsofter. For example, I went to the mall a couple of months ago and Airsoft Armoury were there with a stall selling various RIfs and other kit. I was able to buy a shotgun (non two tone) because they could see I was obviously an airsofter (I was wearing a grands worth of ACU kit..).

I don't personally agree with UKARA at all. The retailers who are members have massively increased prices of RIFs since it came about, after promising there wouldn't be any form of 'cartel' or price fixing. They can do it and get away with it though since pretty much every credible retailer in the country has signed up for it and people struggle to get RIFs from anywhere else.

Associate
OP
Well I have barely any kit at only, only some army surplus gear, so I don't think they'll look at me and think "skirmisher" right away. I'll just go the UKARA route seems the most stress free option in the long run.

Associate
Why is that may I ask?

I know what UKARA stands for but is it not possible to import AEG's from Hong Kong (WGC etc) anymore?

You can yeah, but it's dodgy ground if Customs catch it (and they probably will). People have managed to get things through by giving the retailer a covering letter to attach to the parcel, stating their name/address/photocopy of some photo ID and a declaration stating that they are a legitimate airsofter, and providing details of the site you normally play at. That does still require a site membership though, as they may well ring up the site to ask about you.

Two tones are banned because they don't really want to be associated with them, as they have quite a negative reputation. Also, half of the two tones I've seen have been ridiculously hot, with some kicking out over 400 FPS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is this law in place?

If someone were to use a two-tone Airsoft gun to rob a bank for example, then they'd obviously just spray it black.

Or, more likely, just illegally source a real gun.

Back
Top Bottom