• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gah not enough power?!

Associate
Just setup my new rig with a Antec 500W Earthwats PSU that came with my Sonata. However it appears there is not enough power for my graphics card, what do i need?

Im running it with a Gigabyte UD3R / i7 920 / OCZ Repear DDR3 / 150GB Raptor / 1tb seagate / DVDRW

The graphics card in question is an Asus Glaciator 4870 1Gb.. needing two pcie connectors.

Pointers appreciated!

Thanks

Associate
OP
Not running the i7 at anything other than stock as its a brand new build.

Both plugged in from the cresset indicators it definately seems likes its the power .. i shouldve just added a PSU to my order when considering doh!

Associate
OP
Ok .. the depression set in way too early there!! Its booted. The culprit, i had not plugged in the second motherboard connector. Booting now, i still think i may have to redress the power situation but for now its working.

A lesson in dilegent building. Thanks chaps

Associate
OP
btw if your in doubt , get a power meter that plugs into the mains, shows the watts , amps used etc

ie google Plug-In Mains Power and Energy Monitor

Happy days indeed, ill def take a look at that. Would be interesting to see how much the PC actually punts towards the electricity bill.

The local PC shop wanted £100 for the new PSU .. id rather buy it way cheaper at OcUK if need be. Money saved and a working PC ;];]

Associate
OP
Just to sort of close this off, ive now tested the setup. The 500W PSU is ok to run Windows and games in low resolutions however when run under real load the PSU very quickly cant supply enough power to the Graphics card and the whole machine crashes.

Going to order a new PSU on Monday, going to go for the http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-030-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat= unless there is a better alternative. Or should i go crazy and future proof myself with a 900-1000W PSU?

Associate
i had the Sonata case and the Earthwatts 500 PSU. The issue for me was the amps on the 12v rail not being high enough rather than the wattage available

Back
Top Bottom