WinRAR and bottle necks?

Associate
Hey guys,

I spend a large amount of time, rarring, unrarring and henerally working with archives.

I've always wondered where the bottleneck is with regards winrars performance.

I've got 4 instances now, rarring up a total of 120gb of data, using 90% of my cpu, however disk usuge is only around 20mb/s.

if I have only one instance the CPU sits at around 10% and disk usage is very low, so whats slowing it down? Is it my ram??

Associate
OP
That was my initial thought, that my disks couldn't feed my cpu fast enough. But I opened up resource monitor and the source file was only being read at around 8mb/s.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Have you tried other programs to compare speed? 7-zip will read rar files but not write them - instead it has 7z compression which is much better in my experience.

Associate
OP
Hmm I've always used winrar out of habit. I hadn't actually considered using anything else though I find when I do find a 7z file less people know what to do with it. Oh well, I guess I could try it :).

Thanks

Associate
any version before 3.90 is a waste of time.

3.90 is x64 compatible, can properly make use of multiple cores and is just generally better, its so good infact that ive actually paid for it.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm using the 64bit version 3.90 too.

I'm reading and writing to the same disk but its 2x Samsung F3's in raid 0 with am average read of 200mb/s across the disk.

Thanks for all your ideas guys, I thought I was right in thinking that it should use more than maybe 5-10% of my system resources. I wonder where the issue is :S.

Back
Top Bottom