Finally got a S2000

Associate
watch it in the winter time ( wet etc ) my old one nearly caught me out 1 or 2 times, wicked cars and the best manual gear box i've ever had the fortune of using.

put a smile on my face everytime i drove it.

DSC_000312-1.jpg

old wheels

00311.jpg

my old one

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, there's a lot between a 5 and 7k. Remember they are a common car and some are 10 years old.

Something inside wants me to save up for one at that kind of money but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Im always blown away that people are buying mint s2k's for under 8k. Every single one that seems to crop up on S2KI in that situation within a month either needs all new brake calipers discs and pads, Has completely siezed suspension, or the roof splits in half. Read that as I am dam dubious decent ones under 8k exist.

If none of these things happen, nicely done. Can I suggest you get the following checked out.

1 - Check for cracked retainers, ticking timebomb for the engine to fail. Occurs if the engine is ever over reved and may take 1-2-5-10-20-30k miles until it happens.

2 - Aside from the abuse I get for this, get the geometry checked. These cars can be interesting at the best of times. It makes a night and day difference.

3 - If not already, ensure all the tyres match. Ideally run Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's if your on 16s. Things like Goodyear Eagles and Toyo's are too soft on the sideway and lead to 'squidgy' handling.

4 - Enjoy the car :)

Associate
OP
Im always blown away that people are buying mint s2k's for under 8k. Every single one that seems to crop up on S2KI in that situation within a month either needs all new brake calipers discs and pads, Has completely siezed suspension, or the roof splits in half. Read that as I am dam dubious decent ones under 8k exist.

If none of these things happen, nicely done. Can I suggest you get the following checked out.

1 - Check for cracked retainers, ticking timebomb for the engine to fail. Occurs if the engine is ever over reved and may take 1-2-5-10-20-30k miles until it happens.

2 - Aside from the abuse I get for this, get the geometry checked. These cars can be interesting at the best of times. It makes a night and day difference.

3 - If not already, ensure all the tyres match. Ideally run Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's if your on 16s. Things like Goodyear Eagles and Toyo's are too soft on the sideway and lead to 'squidgy' handling.

4 - Enjoy the car :)

thanks for the advise. what are "retainers"?

Soldato
Good question!

I apologise to know better than me, but basically it's a metal cap the valves 'plug' into which holds the valves in the valve springs.

They crack 'sometimes' if the engine is over revved and at some point they can fail. If they do it drops the valve into the engine and that's game over. Seems to be the single biggest reason for engine failures. Retainers were redesigned for ap2 s2000's (ap1 implies f20c 2.0 s2k and ap2 the f22c 2.2) people incorrectly call 2004 on s2000's in the uk ap2 as they look the same. Best fix is to buy f22c retainers but keep f20c springs etc.

Back
Top Bottom