Woo free petrol!

Soldato
Just a one off, but the GF went to pay for my petrol, she also bought some mints. Having just returned home she looked at her cash card receipt and it only totals 59p (i.e. the mints), the numb skull forgot to add the fuel.

I wonder how long before I get a letter through the door.

Sorry not very interesting I know, but thought I'd share as it excited me lol.

Soldato
OP
Yes I was the only car in the forecourt. He asked her for a lot more than 59p when making the transaction :D Im hoping he didn't notice until he cashes up at the end of the night, then I'm not sure if he could figure which car didn't pay? :confused: What do you think

Man of Honour
Some 'people' I use who find 'people' have just called asking me for your address. Something about 'limited action' and 'collateral damage', but it'll be fine and they are very clean after the 'event'. What's that outside.....nighty night.

Soldato
if i was you i would call them and tell them you will pay next time because
A)you obviously know you didnt pay
B)they WILL know you didnt pay
C)its unfair of them to expect you to drive all the way to the p station to pay as its a waste of your time/fuel for their mistake
D)if they got the police involved they could get you for it

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;14977476 said:
You owe them the money and they have your car on CCTV hooked up to ANPR.

Boo. I guess I better call them tomorrow.

Some 'people' I use who find 'people' have just called asking me for your address. Something about 'limited action' and 'collateral damage', but it'll be fine and they are very clean after the 'event'. What's that outside.....nighty night.

Send them. My address has guards stood outside it with rifles and live ammunition :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14977476 said:

This is interesting. My parents filled up last Sunday night at our local Tesco Express. My mother went in to pay and didn't even check the amount, just entered her pin. They have a Toyota. When they got home dad realised saw that the receipt was for £8 when they put £35 of petrol in. Mother had mixed up the pump numbers and had paid for someone elses fuel.

Dad went back the next day and was told that they had written it off as "drive away" and had been asked "was his car a Nissan".

So no, not every petrol station is connected to ANPR and for the amount, if my dad had not gone back they would have written it off.

Soldato
This is interesting. My parents filled up last Sunday night at our local Tesco Express. My mother went in to pay and didn't even check the amount, just entered her pin. They have a Toyota. When they got home dad realised saw that the receipt was for £8 when they put £35 of petrol in. Mother had mixed up the pump numbers and had paid for someone elses fuel.

Dad went back the next day and was told that they had written it off as "drive away" and had been asked "was his car a Nissan".

So no, not every petrol station is connected to ANPR and for the amount, if my dad had not gone back they would have written it off.

What do you think the outcome might have been had you actually filled up £8 (say) and your mother paid £35 without realising?

Soldato
OP

That's exactly what the GF did. This was a BP station.

Associate
[TW]Fox;14977476 said:

I work for a police force and from what I know, they aren't. Normally the CCTV footage is handed over to the police they then take it from there.

It will still result in a call from the police if the garage, decide to persue it.

Man of Honour
The onus is on the vendor to contact the motorist not the other way around as it was their mistake and it is not reasonable to expect the person paying to spot their mistake. I can't think of the last time I checked a petrol reciept and just because he admitted he did check and therefore, rightly so, feels obligated to make them aware, it is highly unlikely the garage would pursue it.

Soldato
Does a card even work in a shop if it's only 59p?

I remember my till used to go crazy if I tried to force anything below £5 thru on a card, but this could just be down to how the till's were set up however... Oh the joys of working in retail! :o

Soldato
This happened to Dad a couple of years ago at a Tesco in Bury St. Edmunds with a sandwich. The woman forgot to charge for the fuel as she was too busy talking to a colleague. Three days later a copper turned up at the door in the evening to ask why he'd done one without paying for the fuel, luckily he kept the receipt for business purposes.

Copper wasn't too impressed with Tesco!

Associate
apparently tesco (whoops *thinking of that thread for under £5*) had one of their pumps in Cambridge set up wrong and for weeks people were getting petrol for 50p per litre.

From how it was explained on the news it seems as if they're just going to cut their loses on that

Caporegime
I did this a few years back at Donnington Park Services, just off Jct 24 of the M1, I fuelled up my HGV and went into the shop to pay, bought something which I paid out of my own pocket and was handed my fuel card back with a receipt which I stuffed in with my other paperwork.

It only came to light about 3 weeks later when somebody in the office was moaning about drivers not filling paperwork in correctly and submitting wrong receipts!

As far as I'm aware, BP never chased it up.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;14977476 said:

its lame that they can do that but nearly every shop has those count your change before you leave warnings where they can rip you off

Back
Top Bottom