iPhone 3GS - Available on Orange soon

Man of Honour
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8278073.stm

Orange has reached an agreement to sell Apple's popular iPhone in the UK.

The deal ends an exclusive arrangement between UK network operate O2 and the Californian phone maker, which has been in place since 2007.

Orange said its customers would be able to buy the phone "later this year" but did not specify a date or pricing.

Orange now offers the popular handset - of which more than 25 million have been sold worldwide - in 28 countries and territories.

I'm not a fan of the handset personally (mainly because of issues I have with the way Apple do business, rather than that many issues with the handset itself), but the end of the O2 exclusive deal is certainly an interesting change in the UK mobile market.

Caporegime
Whilst I am happy on one hand, on the other hand, I have no faith with Orange and the branding they insist on putting on all their phones (I hope they leave it well alone and let it be a vanilla handset).

It's going to be interesting to see what they insist must be on this handset and also if the data bundles will be as aggressive as O2 have given with the Iphone.

Soldato
Interesting point. They do always apply their custom GUIs :(

*edit
Although having looked through the Orange HTC Hero thread it appears they only put a few Orange related bookmarks on it, and a logo on the back. I'd imagine they'd treat the iPhone similarly.

Last edited:
Soldato
And slapping a silly little orange logo on the handset somewhere.

This is only interesting if Apple don't force upon them the same pricing strategies as O2

Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
I'd love a 3GS, but won't pay the current price for a droppable/bashable item I'll carry all the time. So I'd love to see some decent competition in the market.

However I have no doubt whatsoever that Apple will have locked the pricing options tighter than Beth Ditto in a size zero rubber catsuit</shudder>. Still, it's got to be good news for anyone upgrading on an Orange contract.

Andrew McP

Soldato
I don't know, going from the network with the worst 3g coverage in the country to the network with the best will count for a lot for some people....

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=118816

That's interesting. Didn't realise O2 were bottom of the pile in 3G coverage. But to be honest it doesn't surprise me at all. I have a work colleague who always has a 3/3.5g signal on his N71 on the three network. I still get mildly excited when the 3G symbol pops up on my iPhone it's that infrequent.

Permabanned
Stick your iphone, I'm rocking the Hero and it's sweet as!

Although I do love my ipod touch, I couldn't be without the smooth touchscreen on the Hero now :)

Soldato
Stick your iphone, I'm rocking the Hero and it's sweet as!

Although I do love my ipod touch, I couldn't be without the smooth touchscreen on the Hero now :)

Is the Hero amazing? Cause I also have an iPod Touch that i love, so an iPhone would really only be an addition, i wouldnt transfer my music on to it.

Ugh. What to do!

Associate
So do we think that O2 will be able to unlock existing iPhones when the contract is up now??

I just wish it had gone to all networks, I am now with Vodafone phone having sold my iPhone 3G due to the poor network performance of O2.

David

Permabanned
Is the Hero amazing? Cause I also have an iPod Touch that i love, so an iPhone would really only be an addition, i wouldnt transfer my music on to it.

Ugh. What to do!

I've had an ipod touch since they came out but I like to keep my music seperate from my phone.

The Hero is excellent and the android market is fantastic. (the only reason I would have wanted an iphone for really)

Man of Honour
OP
I've had an ipod touch since they came out but I like to keep my music seperate from my phone.

The Hero is excellent and the android market is fantastic. (the only reason I would have wanted an iphone for really)

I really like the Hero having had a play with it, likely to be my next upgrade unless something spectacular comes along in the meantime.

Suspended
I don't understand all the fuss about Orange branding. I have been an Orange customer for more than 7 years now, I love Orange. The branded GUI is fine, if you don't like it then it's easy to change it.

Soldato
I won't be getting one - I just don't like iPhones, but I hope for those that do, Orange don't put it through their 'Unique' service.

From the Unique service official small print:
When you browse the internet on your phone, your service plan data charges will apply, even if you are connected using the Unique service. Unique is designed to boost your mobile call coverage and won't connect you to the internet through your home broadband.

Basically if you're using a data connection via your own wifi point, you pay Orange for the privilege.

A 'unique' rip-off.

Back
Top Bottom