• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Couple of gfx card question - ATI and Nvidia

Associate
Hi,

I see the new ATI Radeon HD 5870 is out and it's meant to blow the socks off everything else.

Why then, is it cheaper than a gtx 295?? I don't understand. :confused:

Also, I have a preference for nvidia cards. Have had for a while. Should I consider switching to ATI??? :confused:

I play crysis, crysis warhead, f.e.a.r and the follow ups, hl2 series, etc.

Most of all what I'd like is a frame rate jump in the crysis games.

Cheers

Associate
The 5870 is a single GPU, the 295 is a dual GPU. The 295 is 5-10% faster atm but going forward the 5870 will probably be faster in DX11 games(not that there will be many in the near further).
What GPU have you atm? I would recommend changing brand just to get the fanboy thing out of your system- it isn't healthy!

Associate
OP
The 5870 is a single GPU, the 295 is a dual GPU. The 295 is 5-10% faster atm but going forward the 5870 will probably be faster in DX11 games(not that there will be many in the near further).
What GPU have you atm? I would recommend changing brand just to get the fanboy thing out of your system- it isn't healthy!

Thanks for your reply and the info'.

I'm not a fanboy though. I had ati cards in the past and had issues. Had to send a couple back as well as my system wouldn't boot with them. Since I've been using Nvidia i've had no issues.

I'll use whatever works best. You should see the amount of different manufacturers hardware I've used in my builds over the years. Brand loyalty is alien to me.

I've been doing a bit more reading anyway since I posted. Looks like I will be going for the gtx295 after all.

Associate
I'm in the same boat.

TBH wait and see what nvidia has to offer when they release the gt300 card and compare the two brands then.

I'd hate to spend all that money on a card, only to wish i'd have waited for a dx11 capable card when i see how good dx11 games are going to look!

Associate
It's mainly a question of profit. Nvidia can't really make the 295 any cheaper due to the fact that it's dual GPU, and the size of the GT200 chips. Nvidias current generation chips are ENORMOUS. The 5870, on the other hand is about 3/4 the size of one of the chips in the 295. It's just that the 5870 is a new generation, and is a stonker of a card =)
As far as fanboyism goes, it's all subjective. I've had more problems with my GTX280 than my previous radeons, which has coloured my outlook when it comes to buying new cards, so take all you hear with a pinch of salt. I would suggest ATI though, mainly due to Nvidia's reputation as a company. They have frequently rebranded cards just to sell at an inflated price, which I find objectionable

Associate
I'm currently playing crysis warhead with my new 5870. I'm getting 35-50fps with the setting at "gamer" and resolution 1920x1200. I'm not complaining and even tempted to get another 5870 :D

Associate

I'm not a fanboy though. I had ati cards in the past and had issues. Had to send a couple back as well as my system wouldn't boot with them. Since I've been using Nvidia i've had no issues.

I'll use whatever works best. You should see the amount of different manufacturers hardware I've used in my builds over the years. Brand loyalty is alien to me.

I've been doing a bit more reading anyway since I posted. Looks like I will be going for the gtx295 after all.

That is just bad luck. Both companies use the same companies to make the key parts.
It's up to you, but I think that is a bad call. It's not a futureproof card, it's resale value will be poor, it's uses a lot more power, it's makes more noise and SLI'ing it in future won't offer that much benefit.

Permabanned

Poor poor decision. The GTX295 has been a waste of money since it was released, it's even more of a waste of money now.

I think the 5870 is poor value for money, but the GTX295 is taking it to a whole new level.

If you want to spend money on a graphics set up, do yourself a favour and grab 2 5850s and crossfire them.

Soldato

Err the GTX295 can't run DX11, so yes the 5870 WILL be faster in DX11 ;)

Associate
Physx is useless atm. Since it only runs on Nvidia cards, developers don't want to use it for any more than virtually non-existant eye candy as to use it for essential rendering will cut out quite a sizeable chunk of the market for them as ATI users would not be able to run and therefore buy the game. CUDA is cool, but it depends what you plan on using your computer for if you'll get any use out of it. Personally, I look at performance and price, that's it.

Man of Honour
Hi,

I see the new ATI Radeon HD 5870 is out and it's meant to blow the socks off everything else.

Why then, is it cheaper than a gtx 295?? I don't understand. :confused:

Also, I have a preference for nvidia cards. Have had for a while. Should I consider switching to ATI??? :confused:

I play crysis, crysis warhead, f.e.a.r and the follow ups, hl2 series, etc.

Most of all what I'd like is a frame rate jump in the crysis games.

Cheers

The reason why the 5870 is cheaper is because ATI are playing the market smartly - balancing prices between making a good profit, pulling in a larger market share and not over-reaching themselves at a time when nVidia can't directly spoil their ball game.

Back
Top Bottom