First set of golf clubs

THT

THT

Associate
Looking to buy my first set of golf clubs.

Im literally just starting but seem to be naturally pretty good at it.

Looking for some tips on what I should be buying

Thanks

Soldato
I would take some lessons first with a pro so you don't get some which are completely wrong for you and to make sure you want to stick with it.

Then if you are sure you want to get some, your local pro will have some better clubs second hand that have been traded in and will be much much better for value than buying them new.

Stay away from complete sets by onynx or hippo and the like, its really not good value for money, they are really poor quality.
If you insist on buying new, I would recommend pretty much anything from MD golf and Wilson Fatshafts as a good start.

In general I would go for game improvement irons, with cavity backs, but not super game improvement irons as they look like a plate on a stick and I think they look silly.

Hope that helps :)

Caporegime
I had some blades, then I heard about cavity-backs so I bought a set. However I hate them as they disguise faults with your swing in my opinion. I.e. when you hit a bad ball it doesn't feel as bad as it really was.

I've now got rid of them and have some Mizuno MP-58 irons, and the feel has returned and I feel that my swing has benefited because when you do something wrong, you know about it and correct it next time. I also hit musclebacks a lot further.

Of course it all depends on your budget.

Soldato
I can only agree with Sukh from my experience. Started playing just over a couple of years ago, went and had lessons with a local pro, had 8 before i went out on the course. He gave me a set of 2nd hand hippo's which basically let me get out on the course and get playing. After that i bought a full set 'off the shelf' which did me for about 8 months, then the girlfriend bought me a full set of custom fit clubs which were a revelation but they didn't cut as many shots from my handicap as lessons, playing and hard work at the range.

It's not really worth getting custom fitted for clubs at the very begining as your swing will change a lot within the first year as you get to learn more about swing mechanics etc and just from trying things out.

Can't agree with what Robbie says either. There are plenty of tour pro's on the european and PGA tour playing cavity backs. Yes, blades give you more control on ball flight, but bad hits are punished a lot more than with the more forgiving cavitys. And unless you are quite a low handicapper it's more about getting the ball on the green than trying to cut a ball to the back right of the green with a soft landing to stop it dead.

Soldato
Yeh sorry to sound like im giving you jib, but to advise a beginner to get blades (super players irons) over game improvement (over size head and cavity) or super game improvement (super oversize head and cavity) is a bit off.

He would get no where fast hacking the ball all off 20 yards for the first month and then never play again. Companies spend all this money on forgiveness for a reason, and many tour pro's play with them.

Edit: im not saying blades are bad, just bad for beginners.

Caporegime
Edit: im not saying blades are bad, just bad for beginners.

Well I'm a beginner and I hit the ball better and progress more quickly with them. Each to their own I suppose.

And if he hacks the ball 20 yds for a month with blades, then he's some kind of spastic and no amount of cavity is going to help him!

Soldato
I'm happy for you progressing well, but I think you will find 99% of people agree that cavity backs are good for beginners due to the forgiveness.

Soldato
It's not really worth getting custom fitted for clubs at the very begining as your swing will change a lot within the first year as you get to learn more about swing mechanics etc and just from trying things out.

But if the clubs are too long/short then it will effect his striking of the ball.

Soldato
But if the clubs are too long/short then it will effect his striking of the ball.

But if his swing is not repeatable what does it matter, one swing could be a very steep angle of attack and would hit the toe of the club first, one could be shallow and he hits the heel first, steeper attack may mean shorter clubs and shallow attack longer clubs. For a set of fitted clubs you are looking at least £300, so after 2-3 months of playing/lessons they may not be correct, so it's either back to get them altered (which on a cheaper set of clubs may not be possible) or it's time for a new set. It's far better to get a set of 2nd hand standard length/loft/lie until you are comfortable with your swing and then get fitted for a nice set, than keep splashing out for new fitted sets all the time.

Associate
Hi THT and all

I will give you my opinion as well, seeming as i was in your position last June :)

I agree with Sukh in terms of having some lessons, this way you will know if you are in for the long haul.

The reccomendation that i had from my Pro (Paul Ashwell - Top 25 Teaching Pro, Coach of the mens English Golf team and also Juniors) was to have cavity back game improver irons. The reason is for forgiveness. Yes you can start straight out with blades but cavity would be best for starters. I wil back Cavity's for you over blades any day and no matter what others say. I started in June last year and by following the Pro's advice i went from shooting 120 on my first round to now shooting 87!!

Im babbling now.......in short

Go with some cavity back game improver irons, Mizuno MX-17 i reccommend, Steer clear of RAM / Hippo or any other BRAGAIN Sets
Driver (Play with some at the range and go with something that feels nice)
Putter (Again play around with some at your local golf shop)
Keep your bag simple for now with Irons, Driver, Putter. learn to hit the straight and well then you can start adding other clubs :D
Hope that helps

Soldato
I personally wouldnt go for the mx-17, although good clubs, try for forged say mx-23 or mx-25, you get excellent feedback from your shots.

Back
Top Bottom