Is Virgin media my only option???

Associate
Just moved into a house share..it doesn't have a bt phone line is virgin media my only option??..im a heavy downloader and ive heard about there traffic management and its not sounding to great!!..any other providers i could use that dont require a bt phone line???..thanks

Soldato
If you are in a house share why not just get something like a sky package. Net, tv and phone line. The phone line makes the net cheaper and hardly costs anything.

Now are 20mb sky max package is sorted its very reliable and get constant good speeds and no caps. I get around 1.6mb/s now

Associate
I use virgin 10mb package, and its completely useless for downloading anytime in the day. i think after about 1 gig dl speeds drop to 50kbs

Soldato
I use virgin 10mb package, and its completely useless for downloading anytime in the day. i think after about 1 gig dl speeds drop to 50kbs

If this is the case you need to get on to them.

It should be after 3GB from 10am-3pm or 1.5GB from 4pm-9pm downloaded, or 800Mb uploaded from 3pm-8pm and you'll be cut to 2.5Mb/s.
Granted hitting 3GB could happen in less than an hour, and 1.5GB in less than 30 mins if you download full tilt, however you can still hit nearly 50GB in a day outside of these times.

Associate

It should be after 3GB from 10am-3pm or 1.5GB from 4pm-9pm downloaded, or 800Mb uploaded from 3pm-8pm and you'll be cut to 2.5Mb/s.
Granted hitting 3GB could happen in less than an hour, and 1.5GB in less than 30 mins if you download full tilt, however you can still hit nearly 50GB in a day outside of these times.

That makes sense, aka virgin media sucks balls when i was with them a year ago they didnt have this traffic managing bulox.

Soldato
With Virgin there is no download limit, they simply limit the speed you can download at. Virgin have the most reliable broadband and is mostly true to speed, go with Virgin :).

Soldato
No limit at all my mate does stupid amounts on his 50mb line we talking 2tb+ a month he has never had so much as a letter, same when he was on 20meg he did stupid amounts, they offer what they say unlimited downloads but you have to put up with a stm which isn't that bad.

Soldato
No limit at all my mate does stupid amounts on his 50mb line we talking 2tb+ a month he has never had so much as a letter, same when he was on 20meg he did stupid amounts, they offer what they say unlimited downloads but you have to put up with a stm which isn't that bad.

50Mb connections have no capping/limit :) (IIRC)

Associate

so are you saying i can dl 4.5 gig between 10am to 9 pm altogether... hmm didnt realise this. I'll check it out this weekend..

Soldato
we just mvoed into a shared flat (student diggs) with no BT land line, you wouldnt believe the trouble we had trying to get a BT line put in (it turns out its nearly impossible cos nobody at BT speaks english) so we just had to give up after 2 motnhs of solid phone arguments, virgin were up and running 10 days after placing the order, not one single mistake and we are very pleaes with our 50mb service!

just avoid BT like the plague!

Back
Top Bottom