• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Query

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Hi

Was thinking to get a new monitor, could go for a 22" but if i could get away with it 24" would be more preferable however one nagging question is will my current card 8800GTs 512 cope with a 24". Currently playing 1280 1024 no problems on a 19 (non widescreen).

If i opted for the 24 Wide, what gfx card would be better suited that could handle most games that is within a £150-180 budget.

Did look around the forums and got some mixed answers.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Yes you'd probably need a new graphics card although it will depend on what games you play.

A 4890 should be perfectly fine, although that seems to be the price range for the new 5850's (maybe). So you could possibly wait for that? Its within 2 weeks btw.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
If i can get a card that relatively cheap that can easily cope then that ideal as i still need to get a monitor as well :p

What price range is the 5850 approx?

Associate
A 4890 would sail through on a 24" with resolutions up to 1920x1200, I play on that res on a 24" myself using a 4890, so I can assure you it's great!

We don't know price points yet, only guesstimates based off conversion rates and stuff. Either way it's 2 weeks away so I would recommend get your monitor, find out how your current gpu handles it and maybe tough it out for a couple of weeks until the new cards drop; then look at buying yourself a new graphics card.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
A 4890 would sail through on a 24" with resolutions up to 1920x1200, I play on that res on a 24" myself using a 4890, so I can assure you it's great!

We don't know price points yet, only guesstimates based off conversion rates and stuff. Either way it's 2 weeks away so I would recommend get your monitor, find out how your current gpu handles it and maybe tough it out for a couple of weeks until the new cards drop; then look at buying yourself a new graphics card.

Thanks mate - sound advice, answer i was looking for. :) Like me do you use yours mostly for gaming and movies etc?

Cheers

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
After much debate and time wasting , i have finally ordered my new 24 " Monitor :)

Might need a new GFX but will wait and see performance on my current card.

If i did I can see the prices for the new 5xxx series t is unfortunately out of my budget. So it going to have to be 4890 if i had to get one. I take it most of the 4890 are the same apart from the bundle which i dun really care about. Only thing last time i got a ATI card my 1900XT was like a vacuum cleaner. I have the impression that the VaporX cards have the quiets and coolest card or is there any other 4890 that comes with better cooler than the stock

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
thanks - i am probably going to hang on to it if i can. Hopefully performance on my current card isn't too bad. Being CSS fanatic i hope my frames on the new screen is going to be playable.

Associate
+1 to the 5850. For the extra £20 you'll be securing a card ready for the next wave of gaming; Dx11.

As for your current card and CSS, you should be fine, maybe drop the AA down a little. Just as a benchmark for you, the CSS video stress test gives me 275fps average with my 4890 on a Samsung 24" 1920x1200 on highest settings. The 8800gts was and still is a great card so it should last you until the 5850's drop.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
reading an article somewhere, i thought i saw 2 x 6 pin power connectors on the new ATI 5 series cards?

My existing power only has 1 x 6 pin? Take it new PSU if i opt for 5xxx

Last edited:
Associate
You can get a molex to 6 pin adaptor for the 2nd plug. I'm not 100% sure but you will probably get one in whatever graphics card bundle you decide on. If not eBay will be cheap & quick.

Again, I'm not sure on this but a 4890 probably needs 2x 6 pin for power too. I've never used one so can't be sure. Someone else will more than likely be able to tell you.

Soldato
reading an article somewhere, i thought i saw 2 x 6 pin power connectors on the new ATI 5 series cards?

My existing power only has 1 x 6 pin? Take it new PSU if i opt for 5xxx

I've got the HX520 and got two in the bundle of wires which originally came with the PSU...if not, get a molex-PCIe cable from somewhere (may well come with your graphics card) and use that, it will work fine.

Associate
You can get a molex to 6 pin adaptor for the 2nd plug. I'm not 100% sure but you will probably get one in whatever graphics card bundle you decide on. If not eBay will be cheap & quick.

Again, I'm not sure on this but a 4890 probably needs 2x 6 pin for power too. I've never used one so can't be sure. Someone else will more than likely be able to tell you.

My 4890 has two 6-pin connectors for power so the same as 58xx.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I am very surprised my 8800GTS is coping with my new 24" monitor. Although i have only played CSS, Insurgency and Titan Quest. Lost a little average framerate but it still more than playable. Might turn up the settings to max to see how it copes.

have the luxury to wait for a 5xxx :)

Associate
They're not really new games to be fair though, although if that's what you want to play and your computer does it in 24" then awesome :)

Don't forget you can probably get £40-£50 on members market for your 8800 to put towards your next card......

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Miight install a few more graphics intensive games to really test it :)

MM - is a good idea.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom