• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Live in/near London? Got a 5870 and 30" monitor? Want £30?

Permabanned
This post in only relevent if you live in London and have a 5870 card, and a 30 inch monitor.

Could I please pop round your place some time with a single 20" 3:4 screen -- so we could see if it works turning my 20" to portrait making an exact rectangle of 3860 * 1600 -- For eyefinity?

No-one anywhere on the whole internet knows if it works or not, though plenty (like me) are desperate to find out .. (This test basically decides whether I spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on cards and monitors or not. The result potentially saves me wasting > £800 on something that doesn't work how I want it to)

I'm so desperate, I'll give you £30 for your trouble if you help me with this test regardless of result .. it should take less than 45 minutes of your time.

Alternatively exactly same offer you bring just your base PC without monitor to my house -- and we hook it up to my 30" and 20" as described at my house to see if it works, and I give you £30 .. whatever you want .. I'm desperate!

Soldato
i dont live in london but i do have a 5870 and an array of monitors i have (at work not my personal) a 30" 3007wfp hc dell, 2 24" 2407wfps a 22" 2408wfp and a 20" cheaper del i think its a E208 WFP the 20" wont do protrait tho.

the 22" is same res do you want to test the 30" in landscape with the smaller screen in portrait jsut to the side and the resolution has to be exact?

if so i can test this for you tomorrow, il jsut bring my rig into work (its SFF anyways :p)

Permabanned
Unfortunately, Eyefinity works only on monitors of the same resolution and aspect ratio.

All screens need to be the same size and resolution otherwise all you will get is extended desktop mode.

Permabanned
OP
Kyle -- oh no :( No need for CraigN to do the test at all then if you know this for a fact :(

Well thanks for the info Kyle -- did you try it out then?

I thought with the HEIGHT across all monitors being 1600 even though different widths, and the thing being a perfect rectangle it may have worked.

But I'm definately screwed am I? I guess my eyefinity adventures finish right here ... :(

Soldato
AMD product manager confirmed that this will not work as all monitors in an Eyefinity setup need to be oriented the same with the same aspect ratios to work.

edit: d'oh beaten to it by Jimbo! Keep an eye on that thread for posts from Dave Baumann to see whether Eyefinity will allow xfire, bezel management and DP->DVI adaptors.

Britboy your idea does work with software called Softth so give that a try.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
OK thanks creed. However at the moment I have a 4870x2, so upgrading without eyefinity basically doesn't give me 'enough' to justify it.

Eyefinity not working how I wanted it to is the straw that breaks the camel's back ...

(And yes, 3*30" screens just to get the thing working is beyond my means).

Thanks for all your help ... gonne 4870x2 for the foreseeable future. It's not as if gaming on a 30" monitor is particularly painful or anything anyway :)

Soldato
im slightly lost here, What are you trying to do exactly ? 30" + 20"P ?

And if so what has eyefinity got to do with it ? Ive been running my dell 3008 and 2007 like that for the last 14 months just using normal desktop settings but its 3760 * 1600 (unless your 20" screen is 1600*1300 native)

*** Edit, I'm not understanding it, I don't really have my head round what eyefinity does, but it sounds pants if it cant do P-L-P

Last edited:
Soldato
im slightly lost here, What are you trying to do exactly ? 30" + 20"P ?

And if so what has eyefinity got to do with it ? Ive been running my dell 3008 and 2007 like that for the last 14 months just using normal desktop settings but its 3760 * 1600 (unless your 20" screen is 1600*1300 native)

*** Edit, I'm not understanding it, I don't really have my head round what eyefinity does, but it sounds pants if it cant do P-L-P

Eyefinity spans games across monitors. i.e. treats multiple monitors as if they are your primary monitor.

It is not needed for desktop use or 3 separate monitors.

How have you been using yours?

Back
Top Bottom