UPS that turns itself back on again?

Associate
Is there a UPS that after the mains power has gone off and the UPS has run out of power, that once the mains power has returned the UPS will turn itself back on again?

The one we have you have to manually press the button on after it has shut off :confused:

Associate
OP
I did too but it just makes a massive never ending beep whilst being turned off.

Even after the power is returned it continues its high pitched beep and does not turn itself on again.

You have to manually press the on button which is not practical as the PC is miles away offsite! :(

Caporegime
You shouldn't allow the UPS to run out anyway, you should set it to shutdown the machine once battery level reaches a low level.

You need an intelligent UPS that can be set to power the ports back up once it's recharged, then set power on after power fail in the bios...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You shouldn't allow the UPS to run out anyway, you should set it to shutdown the machine once battery level reaches a low level.

I'm a tad confused. The PC is set to shutdown.. the PC does shut down. The UPS however is still on after the mains goes out.

The site runs on a generator and it goes off after work, by the time morning comes the UPS is dead anyhows.

Maybe its a rubbish UPS and should not die after being left on overnight?

Or maybe you mean the UPS should shut off before it dies and can be programmed to turn back on :confused:

Cheers :)

Associate
OP
The latter..

I have found the software CD and the only option are choosing the percentage of battery left in the UPS before stopping power the PC.

Nothing at all about powering off the UPS itself and turning itself back on either by time or when the mains power returns :(

I guess this is now more of a spec me a model that can do this thread. Current make is APC and model is a 'BE550-UK'.

Associate
OP
Just got off the phone to APC and they say a SC420i at £99 should do the job. You are correct it was a SMART UPS I needed :)

Not considerable amount more tho as my one current one costs £60-70 according to my boss :confused:

Soldato
I take it the 'i' means intelligent?
I think it means IEC connectors.
UPSes with US power connectors lack that designation and Back-UPS ES models with normal conenctors have also their own end designation basing to connector type.

The one we have you have to manually press the button on after it has shut off :confused:
I think that's the way how it's in general.
Just think what it would cause if UPS would always automatically turn on instantly if there are repeated power failures.

Back
Top Bottom