Your opinion? Company Proxy / VPN usuage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Guys,

Want your advice please :

Naughty as it may be, sometimes i use a VPN (Connecting out on port 443 of my companies proxy) so that i can Remote into home, and connect to a differnt proxy server that is situated on my home server

So, when im browsing. the following occurs..

Work PC >> Work Proxy (VPN Established) >> VPNd to home Server >> Home Proxy >> Internet

I done this, so that my internet use and habits are not logged by the company systems (with the exception of my initial connection to the VPN, obviously!)

My question is this, if im browsing via my home proxy, should my local proxy usuage just have one usuage entry (to establish the connection to my VPN)

My usuage (pages requested) seems to be very high on my company proxy considering i use this method.

Can they still track what im up to, or is it likely/possible that every bit of traffic going through my vpn has to send some sort of request to my company proxy before it can reach the other end?

Your thoughts please?

Soldato
The first question is to flip round and say what would your work think of this. You could find yourself on gross misconduct, especially as any viruses on your home system could get into the work network via the VPN.

Anyway, in terms of answering your question. It all depends on what monitoring is in place.

If there is client side key stroke logging/monitring then anything you do could be snooped.

If there is a on site web proxy then that won't log traffic.

Any packet sniffing will only pick up all traffic but only encrypted traffic (ie https) will not be readable.

We always put traffic/MAC filtering on our networks so that we can detect non-authorised devices being plugged in - your home network would almost certainly trigger this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom