Alfa MiTo Vs BMW 1 Series

Caporegime
Hello peeps, a rare excursion for me into the motors section, I just had a question. I currently have a little granny's car and I was hoping to get a car on finance quite soon. I can't exactly go throwing around 15 K on a car because I'm a student so I was looking at one of the following two.

Either an Alfa Romeo MiTo.
OR
A BMW 1 Series.

The 1 Series would obviously be second hand because I can't afford a new one. Both cars have their charms on me, the Alfa because I like the look of it, although being Italian all the electrics will probably crap out within a week of having it. Then there's the BMW which is probably very well built and nice and comfy. So I'm just asking for opinions really. Which would you people go for and why?

I'm trying to get a nice small car that doesn't cost a bomb to run. But I'm aiming a little higher than the Ford's and Vauxhall's, not that there's anything wrong with them of course but they just aren't for me.

Cheers in advance. :)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
if you can't throw £15k on a car in one go, why throw £15k on a car via finance?

out of those 2, i'd take the BMW, but only if its a 12-d or a 13-i

are you in NC? didn't realise alfa sold in the states..

Caporegime
OP
I'm not in NC at the moment I'm back in Wales. :)

It seems that so far that the consensus is that neither of these would be peoples first choice for a premium make small car. Maybe I should be less of a snob and look at something like a 54 plate Ghia Fiesta. Even that would be a big step up from the stupid little rice box I'm driving at the moment.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
what's your budget? do you have to finance? seems like a waste of money really. what is your 'rice box'?

Caporegime
OP
Why not a decently specced Focus?

Maybe. I do like them, not the newest shape, but the shape before that I thought was really nice. Although I'm a bit conscious of petrol and insurance. I've only been driving three years and I had a bump in my first year like the noob I was so I want to keep insurance down a bit and petrol consumption has to be good too, but I'd like to stay away from diesels. My dad has one and I don't like the way it drives. :(

what's your budget? do you have to finance? seems like a waste of money really. what is your 'rice box'?

Budget in cash is probably about £6000. I get steady income which is why I could have afforded finance, but I see what you mean about it, if you can't afford it now, you won't be able to afford it next month etc.

The rice box is a Hyundai, Grannies fave.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
coming from a hyundai, anything will be nicer, apart from a matiz :p

get a cheap hatch for a few grand like a focus or fiesta if you want something small and cheap to run.
not particularly exciting or exotic, but you're a student ;)

alternatively, get something like a leon cupra if you want something with a bit of poke

Caporegime
OP
coming from a hyundai, anything will be nicer, apart from a matiz :p

get a cheap hatch for a few grand like a focus or fiesta if you want something small and cheap to run

lol... a Matiz! Oohhhh dear. Well I came here asking for advice on one of two cars and I've got a completely different, but sensible answer!

I'll have to have a look around now. I think I'll go with either a nice newer Fiesta or a Focus if I can find a good one around here. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Soldato
£6000? or £15,000?

Alfa Mito -v- BMW 1 Series?

Eh!? :confused:

Well, firstly you won't get a Mito for £6k, so forget about the Mito.

Secondly, you're comparing chalk with cheese.

A Fiat Punto Grande in drag (ie Mito) -v- a prestige hatchback in the class above that's lightyears better to drive, better built, better engineered, will last a lot longer and hold its value better.

And you're a student?

You sound more like a dreamer, a bit like that guy on here that's a student at Uni and thought he could buy a Lexus IS-F, Range Rover Sport etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, if you're set on spending around 12k on a car, then the Fiesta is best in class for the 'mito' sized cars. If its all about the looks, then in Zetec S form its pretty tasty. The Mito is a Fiat Punto in drag, although I suppose you could also say the Fiesta is a mazda2 in drag. Mazda2 was car of the year before the Fez came out, the Punto wasnt.

However considering you can't afford one without finance, you can get a lot of decent cars for 6k, and not having a monthly payment hanging over your head is quite nice.

Back
Top Bottom