Overclocking for an idiot

Associate
Hi all

I'm thinking of overclocking my 6600 Conroe.

What? You say. Not clocked already??

Well no. I don't really know what I'm doing. I've read the tips and stuff in the stickys here, but I'm still confused. Does anyone, preferably who has the same set-up as me, fancy giving me a quick run down on what to do?

I feel like I need a bit of a speed increase. The pc is only used for playing games (CSS, CoH and CoD4 mostly) and fro web browsing. Or should I just buy a new CPU?

Any help much appreciated :)

Associate
You didnt say whether it was the Q6600 or E6600. Anyways, they both have an fsb of 266MHz (1066MHz effective). If you set the FSB to 333MHz (1333 effective) that will boost the speed to a decent 3GHz. Also set the fsb:dram ratio to 2:3 This will make the most of you ram (i assume its the one in your sig)

Soldato
No Biggie, like Temi said they have the same fsb.

Sound like good settings, if you have problems booting or with stability just boost your vcore (in bios, smallest steps each time) until you are stable and watch your temps don't soar (hwmonitor is a good program for monitoring temps).
I'd say feed it voltage until it is stable and is below 70's full load. Everyone has their own preferences though. I don't mind my temps going to 80 C under LinX as this doesn't happen in gaming.

Good luck.

Associate
OP
Heh yeah it's a dual core. I'm not even sure how to change the FSB, I'll have a look though, thanks.

My system is what it says in my sig yes. I've got a new cooler coming, and I will definately give it a go!

Associate
OP
You didnt say whether it was the Q6600 or E6600. Anyways, they both have an fsb of 266MHz (1066MHz effective). If you set the FSB to 333MHz (1333 effective) that will boost the speed to a decent 3GHz. Also set the fsb:dram ratio to 2:3 This will make the most of you ram (i assume its the one in your sig)

OK I got how to change the FSB, only 2 days :p

Could anyone tell me how to change the fsb:dram ratio as quoted above?

Associate
Have a look at my post on my E6600 HERE

My FSB : Dram ratio was at 2:3, as in my 2nd post in the above thread, but I was advised to leave it at 1:1 for now and IIRC it still is. Like you, mine is also mainly used for gaming, CoD4 and CoD5 90% of the time, I got mine stable at 3.4 but not when I play the games, so I leave it at 3.1 and it seems happy with that...would like more but tbh I think 0.2 or 0.3 of an increase isn't really worth the constant reboots when I am on a killing spree!! :D

Back
Top Bottom