Only get 3m from upto 10, should I even bother with "upto 20" ?

Soldato
Hi :)

I am with Sky for my tv, phone and interwebnetness. I pay £5 and get a 10g usage, with upto 10mb download.

When I started, they had me on 4mb, but it disconnected so much due to bad line noise that they lowered me to 3mb and it is now nice and stable (but slow).

Considering this fact, is it even worth thinking about Sky Unlimited (up to 20, is this adsl2?)? Would I still only get 3mb?

Many thanks for any help :)

Soldato
Sky Unlimited is a LLU product so make sure your exchange is enabled for Sky LLU.

There are no limits whatsoever on the package so you can download at the same speed 24/7. Not sure if you'd get better speeds or not though. I'd say it is worth it just for no limits.

Last edited:
Associate
Its really all down to what your phone line can handle. As you said you are on up to 10Meg, but originally you could only achieve 4Meg out of it but you kept getting disconnections and then they capped you down to 3Meg which solved the problem which means that really your phone line is capiable of a 3Meg stable connection. This is usually due to how far away you are from your local exchange or if not down to a poor phone or poor wiring. So if you wanted to upgrade to the up to 20Meg then it would not make a difference as you would still only get 3/4Meg. If I am right if LLU was already enabled from the beginning then Sky would have stuck you on their LLU service and not BT's Wholesale service (ADSL1), but if you are on LLU anyway then you would still only be able to achieve a 3Meg connection even if you decide to upgrade to up 20Meg.

Liam

Caporegime
Is there a way to find out?

Yes, to a degree.

adsl_att_vs_speed_chart.jpg

Caporegime
Except that graph is about as accurate as just randomly thinking of a number between 0 and 24.

If you're on Sky's £5 product you're already on their LLU service.
What you need to identify, and your router will tell you this, is whether you're on ADSL or ADSL2+.
If you're on ADSL2+ already you won't get any more and you're effectively already on their "up to 20Mbps" product. If you're on ADSL, on the same page it should give stats like the speed it's connected at, the attenuation and SNR margin. Plugging those three statistics into the estimator in the sticky will give some idea of what you can expect from ADSL2+.

Associate
So if i am NOT on LLU, i might be able to see an increase?
Is there a way to find out?

Fairly unlikely because of what your line can already handle, but if Sky is LLU enabled in your area then when you first joined Sky, they would have automatically put you on their LLU system anyway and not BT's Wholesale (as LLU is newer and faster than BT's wholesale system) and also I learned that the graph is no way acurate either as for me it estimated I should be connecting at 8Meg, but the best speed I can connect at is 6Meg.

Liam

Associate
Except that graph is about as accurate as just randomly thinking of a number between 0 and 24.

If you're on Sky's £5 product you're already on their LLU service.
What you need to identify, and your router will tell you this, is whether you're on ADSL or ADSL2+.
If you're on ADSL2+ already you won't get any more and you're effectively already on their "up to 20Mbps" product. If you're on ADSL, on the same page it should give stats like the speed it's connected at, the attenuation and SNR margin. Plugging those three statistics into the estimator in the sticky will give some idea of what you can expect from ADSL2+.

Further to this very correct post:
ADSL is an up to 8mb service.
If the user is on an up to 10mb service then Sky should have put him on ADSL2+ and not ADSL.

If the OP is not on ADSL2+ already then he/she should be complaining, and asking for money back because of the reduced service he got due to their error.

Back
Top Bottom