Looking for a bluetooth transmitter..

Associate
Evening all.

I'm not sure if this product exists so I'm wondering if anyone on here has heard of it or something similar..

I'm in search of a cheap bluetooth transmitter.

• All it should do is broadcast it's id and no other functionality.
  • It should have a usb adapter on it so that the device id can be rewritten using a computer.
  • It would broadcast it's id when it receives power via the usb - no computer required to operate

Does anyone know if such a device exists?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Not sure if you'd find one that can transmit without a computer as it would need the driver.

You'd need some sort of embedded device which has its own control program onboard.

Whats it for?

Associate
OP
It's for developing an indoor positioning system that can be used by general mobile phones (hence the decision to use bluetooth as it's a common technology).

The idea is that a mobile phone would move around a building and it's position could be worked out by reading the IDs of nearby bluetooth devices.

The problem I have is that USB only works up to 5 metres, so in a fairly large building I would need hundreds of USB hubs to get the power / data to the bluetooth dongles.

J.B. is right.. most bluetooth dongles seem to require drivers running on a computer in order to operate. Therefore I'm wondering if bluetooth dongles exist that don't require connectivity to a computer - I'm hoping there is one where you can simply plug it into the mains and it starts transmitting it's id. No other data will need to be passed over bluetooth.. just the id.

Even better would be if the device could run off a solar panel so it's completely standalone..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom