Unpartitioned space on RAID5, performance?

Soldato
I currently have a 3 drive RAID 5 on a PERC 4/SC controller.

I will be expanding it to a 5 drive RAID 5.

As a result, there will be unpartitioned space on the array. This free space will presumably spread across all 5 drives in the array?

If I don't partition this space, will I still get the benefit of those extra spindles, in terms of IOPs and lower random access times?
Since the drives are part of the array I expect there will be, but confirmation would be nice.

There are risks involved with partitioning, which I do not need to face right now. Speed is more important than storage space.

Thanks, Yama

I figured this would be a better place to put this topic, rather than the Servers and Enterprise Solutions forum, don't prove me wrong ;)

Soldato
OP
Exactly what I wanted to hear :)

Follow up question;

Is it safer to resize a partition on an array, or just to create a whole new one?
At the moment I have 'D' and 'E' on the array, shall I add an 'F' for the remaining space, or bloat up D and E equally?

Man of Honour
Adding an 'F' is the safest option. Partitions need to be contiguous bits of disk so resizing both D & E will mean moving one of them (probably E) to make room to extend the other. Extending just E is reasonably safe though, it just depends how you want/need to use the space.

Soldato
OP
The space isn't very important at all, just need more IOPs and throughput for a minimal cost really.

I've found a product by EASEUS which supports the PERC4/SC which would let me resize it, I think I'll buy that once the array has rebuilt.

Thanks for your help!

Soldato
You don't even need to create a new partition to use the new space, If you're using Windows you can just run Diskpart and extend the partition to fill it up. Very quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom