1156 cooler, is the AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 ok?

Associate
Hi,
I'm looking to buy the rest of my required bits to go with my Promo P55-GD80 , got the i5 750 in my basket, Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 Ram but the CPU cooler is doing my head in. Is the AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 worth getting, I'm currently using the Freezer 7 Pro (1st rev) on my P45 board and it seems fine to me. On a bit of a budget to be honest so if this £20 one will do the trick then I think I'll go for it

Cheers
Andy

Associate
just built my i5 pc and im using the freezer2.
running 4.1ghz @ 1.35v, idle is about 40-42C, 20mins prime95 will rocket that up to about 79C accross all cores, doesnt go higher after that though. playing gta4 for 30mins gave me a max high of 69C, WoW for 2 hours took the one core it used up to 66C max, but was staying at about 53C mostly.
No stability issues so far, quite limited testing but so long as temps dont go above 80C for any great length of time then im happy.

(cpu wasnt stable at 4.2Ghz, errors in prime95 and windows eventually locked up. even at 1.41v, but not sure if a different cooler would change that, temps werent much higher so maybe just limit of the cpu)

Man of Honour
I've got one and it is infinitely better than the Alpine 11 that it replaced. Running at 4ghz 1.35v it idles around 36-39C, rising to around ~65C in HyperPi.

It does kinda block one of the memory slots though (you can just about shoehorn the stick in, but it'll be pressing up against the fan cage unless you mount it the other way round).

Associate
Mine seems to be DOA. It also was horrible to install as one of the pushpins kept coming lose when tightening to the heat sink to the mount. Took about 5 tries.

Although it took me while to notice the fan on the product was dead as my temps were 40ish idle but were hitting 90 when I ran prime95. Thats how I noticed the fan was dead.

If it was me I would choose what super recommended or the Akasa like I am going to do with the replacement.

Looking on the net they have quite a lot of reports of the fans failing. Customer reviews off a large US retailer.

Man of Honour
To be honest I'm not liking the S1156 design at all with those pushpins - I had the same trouble, you really have to jam them in as far as they can go, then physically push the mounting bracket down against the mobo and jam the pin things in them. The problem is that under tension when screwing the heatsink on, basically you are having a fight between pulling the metal heatsink down, and some crappy little bit of plastic trying to come out of a hole.

One pin came loose for me and I spent about 30mins trying to get the black pin back in, it was really hard because due to the heatsink I couldn't get my hand in close gripping the pin the right way. In the end I gave up and removed the heatsink which obviously isn't ideal as it broke compound seal on the cpu.

Still better than the nightmare I had with my first S1156 heatsink, the retention bracket on that literally snapped while trying to screw it on (and I wasn't going crazy, just trying to make the screw moderately tight, no more than I've done on any other heatsink in over 10 years of upgrading PCs.

Say what you like about the effectiveness of Intel stock hs/fans, at least they are well made unlike some of this aftermarket tat.

Back
Top Bottom