Self-Build final flight check

Associate
I've spent an ungodly amount of time researching the various bits and bobs involved in my most recent build, charts from Tom's Hardware, ***** review, OcUK forum advice etc etc etc. After a mad night, which saw me in bed for 3am, I've picked out all the components I should need and I'm ready to buy.

I don't really need a full spec, just a once over and if you spot anything erroneous just shout :) The areas I'm most open to change on are the PSU (550W + cheap) and the case - I'm torn between the CM Storm Scout and a NZXT Guardian 921, I'd prefer a blue case and the temperature readouts are handy but I'm unsure of it's coolng credentials - it's well-reviewed but the Scout is widely regarded as a brilliant cooling box.

On to the system then:

CPU: Core i5-750
GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X 1Gb
RAM: G.Skill 7-7-7-24 @ 1600MHz
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D Pro
HDD: Hitachi 500Gb 7,200rpm 16Mb
Case: NZXT Guardian 921/CM Scout Storm
PSU:Silverstone Strider 500W
CPU cooler:AC Freezer 7 Pro R2
Optical Drive:Sony 22x DVD+-RW
Windows 7: 64-bit Premium

Total: £731

I'm planning on buying a 1900x1080Monitor: Viewsonic VX2260WM £135 once the bank balance is a little improved and I'll probably throw in a 2nd HDD too. As you can probably tell I'm on a middling budget and don't really want to exceed £750, if I was to spend the extra £20 I'd probably improve the PSU so I can drop in a 2nd 4890 when/if the price drops. The main use of the rig will be for gaming, particularly running 2-3 copies of EVE Online, RTS and FPS' once I get round to buying a few, I'm not too fussed about the synthetic performance of any of the parts, it's mostly the overall FPS I'm interested in.

Perhaps this: Be Quiet! StraightPower 600W @ £63. If anyone could show me a 6-700W modular PSU around £60 which isn't based on an Epsilon FSP that'd be fantatstic. I know the 550W can power the current system but I'd like the PSU to survive a few upgrades.

Cheers,
Cyrl

Last edited:
Soldato
Errr, you need to remove those competitor links. This is, strangely enough, a shop-owned forum.

And the last one links to a GMail account.

Soldato
As above, remove the links to the competitors :)

If I were you I would seriously consider an extra £50 for an ATI 5850...they outperform the 4890 considerably.

EDIT: If you want to save yourself a little cash, look at the Lancool K58 case. I built myself a new i5 build in one last night and love the thing; best case I've ever owned by a long way, and it's only £60!

Associate
First things first,you need to get rid of links to competitors as its against forum rules.

Your psu need to be of better quality imo and for your proce range you will struggle to find a good modular one.

Associate
OP
Sorted the links out, wasn't aware of the rule, atleast I made an effort to use as much OcUK stuff as I could. I found it really odd that they're the one of the few e-tailers that offer so many dual-channel DDR3 kits, not that I'm complaining :p

Back
Top Bottom