Xbox 360 - Live - Connection Woes

Associate
Hello there!

Currently I can only use my Xbox on live if I hook it up to my PC via an ethernet cable.

My PC connects to my Wi-Fi network via a USB adapter as it is too far from the router to connect via a cable.

The problem I have is that when playing a game, ie. ODST, via Live, the connection will intermittently drop and disconnect Xbox Live.

Now I have no connection issues on my PC, games never drop out, I never loose connection and the signal is very strong.

Yet when using Live in a game, things get a little hectic, and the connection drops.

Its like the signal is getting blocked with too many packets and dropping?

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? Cant bring myself to buy the Wi-Fi Xbox adapter for £55 :(

Associate
You could go for a pci wireless card and high gain antenna for a stronger signal which you could pick up for around £20 for both, but I can't really see that being the problem if you never see any problems using the PC wireless connections though. You could try using a different cable between PC/xbox if you haven't already, I connect to live the same way through my PC using ICS and even though my signal strength is quite poor (<20%) and drops out occassionally I never get disconnections in game unless the PC disconnects completely. Also check the port forwarding from the router is set correctly if you haven't already, that's about all i could suggest.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips.

I dont have any sort of port forwarding setup on the router, but assumed as I was able to connect to live that the ports must already be open?

Not sure about the MTU value? Is this something I would need to set on the PC or the Xbox?

Soldato
Sounds like a haphazard way of getting a connection for your xbox.

Have you looked at Homeplug network over power adapters? I invested in a pair of Netgear HDX101s a few years back while I was at uni and they were/are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom