Spraypaint n00b needs advice

Soldato
Rightyho, got me a Silverstone TJ07 a few months ago, which is pretty sweet, but the innards are a rather gay silver and seeing all these nice new black insides everywhere makes me want to paint it.

So how would I go about doing it? I have only used spray paint once and that was epic fail. What sort of paints will I need? Do I need to prime the surface beforehand? How many coats should I use? Is there anything specific about the TJ07 I should consider?

I really have no idea about this so any modding advice would be welcome :)

Soldato
This is how i do it.

List of parts.
1 Etch primer this is a must as it takes hold far better than normal grey stuff

2 Grey primer

3 Top coat colour Plasti-kote Super Enamel

4 Clearcoat if you think you will need it

5 Sandpaper about 400 grit (wet and dry) i use it dry

6 Tak rag to remove dust when you have sanded

How to paint and sand

1 Take the wetand dry and key the surface of the panel you want to spray,when you have done this use the tak rag to remove any dust left over from sanding.

2 Get your can of etch primer and give it a really good shake(about 3mins) you could place the can in some luke warm water this will help the paint to flo a bit better.

3 Spray etch primer on the object with a light coat,leave to dry for about 15-20mins then put another light coat on and leave to dry over night

4 Sand the etch primer down with the wet and dry and use the tak rag again,now you can leave it like this if you want and not bother with the grey primer i some time do this and it wont harm the end result.

5 Do the same thing you have doneto the etch primer(shake 3mins and warm water) for the topcoat,once again spray on light coats and when your happy with the look leave it over night to dry.

6 Now this will be up to you if you want to add some clearcoat this will help protect the topcoat of paint incase you knock it at anytime plus it will give the finish a nice shine to it,the Plasti-kote is quite a hard wearing paint so you may not need any clearcoat.

I have done some parts for my coolermaster HAF 932 case so when i get a bit of time i`ll put some piccys up of them :)

Another thing you could do is have the inside of your case powdercoated this is far better than paint and costs around £60 to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dude, that is one hell of a comprehensive guide! Thanks man! :)

I'll have to give it a think though, it sounds like a lot of work and I'm a bit cack-handed when it comes to this kind of thing. So the power coating idea sounds rather good. I've got a mate who got his bike powercoated so I might ask where he got it done.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom