• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP! NO BOOT WITH PHENOM II X4 965 AND GIGABYTE MOBO!!

Associate
URGENT HELP NEEDED REGARDING PHENOM II 965 AND MOTHERBOARD ISSUE

hey i really need someones help on here. I have recently built my brand new computer with a phenom II 965 3.4ghz processor, on a gigabyte GAM720-US3 motherboard.

I ordered my build from lambdatek.co.uk and it said these to components were compatible with each other however when i turned my comp on for the 1st time i noticed how the phenom HAD BEEN DOWNCLOCKED TO 1.6GHZ.
I looked on the gigabyte website for this board however to my dissatisfaction my phenom 965 was not listed in the cpu support list, however the phenom II 955 3.2ghz was.

I THEN UPPED THE CLOCK SPEED IN THE BIOS TO 3.4GHZ (WHAT IT SHOULD BE) AND THE COMPUTER THEN TURNED ITSELF OFF AND NOW WILL NOT BOOT AT ALL. I TRIED TO RESET MY BIOS BUT FOR SOME REASON COULDNT (SHOULD I BOTHER TRYING AGAIN??)

Please can someone tell me if this is a compatibility issue or not, or whether i just need to update my bios (god knows how, theres no option for this processor!!) As i now CANNOT GET PAST POST AND THERE IS NO SIGNAL TO MY MONITOR.
BIOS BEEPS ARE NON EXISTENT, yet case fans etc and psu appear to be on, however COMPUTER OCCASIONALY RESTARTS A FEW TIMES on power on :S:S:S:S:S.

NOTE: THE SYSTEM DID ORIGINALLY BOOT AND WORK HOWEVER THE CPU WAS RUNNING AT 1.6GHZ, ALSO RAM HAD BEEN CLOCKED DOWN TO 800MHZ

4gb (2x2gb) ocz blade 1150mhz
650w antec earthwatts
asus radeon hd 4870 1gb ddr5
wdc black 500gb
lite on dvd/rw

I spent 700 on my build and im really needing answers so any help is appreciated.
I have purchased another mobo now hoping this will fix all my issues. This being the asus m4a78 pro which apparently is compatible (i notied the m4a78-e mobo just after i ordered it :mad::mad:)

the links to the motherboards are below, the gigabyte being the one that "doesnt work"?? and the asus being the one i have purchased and am hoping to put the components onto in a bid to get the system to work.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Product [...] uctID=3006

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Product [...] uctID=3006

Please can someone getback to me ASAP and tell me what happened and if i needed to buy this motherboard. Note i am new to building pc's and am very upset as you can imagine!
Thank you in advance.

Soldato
Dont know why the 720 US3 board shouldnt take a 965....

Its a 140w rated Mobo, which is what the 965 is...:confused:

Most likely the BIOS not identifying the chip correctly.....

Does it have F5 BIOS installed?.

Associate
1) Ensure all the necessary power cables in, Primarily 24pin ATX, 8pin/4pin EATX and any required PCI-EX power cables.

2) Disconnect everything that isnt needed for the PC to post and display a picture - Optical drives, hard drives, SSD's, USB leads, sound and other expansion cards.

3) Ensure your RAM and Video card are seated properly. Make sure the CPU HSF fan cable is plugged into the motherboard.

4) Clear your CMOS. To be sure, disconnect the Mains power cable from the power supply and leave for 30 seconds. Pop the small watch battery out of the motherboard. Leave for 30 seconds, pop the battery back in and reconnect the Mains power cable.

5) Cross your fingers and turn the power back on. If you get a sucessful post, ensure you go into the BIOS and load optimised defaults, but dont do any overclocking until you know you have a reliable boot.

Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom