Hi,

I recently got o2 broadband at uni and the DSL connection is as shown:

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 13:48:46
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,334 / 20,637
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

This shows that the sync speed is at around 20mb. However whenever I download or do any speed tests, I only seem to getting around 10 mb. Is there a way to get the full 20mb the router is synced at?

Thanks

Soldato
Are there housemates on the line?

What sources are you testing your download speed from? Lots restrict the bandwidth for a single connection.

Associate
OP
Yeah there are 4 of us connected, but we decided to try and let one person connect only, then use multiple speed tests including the use of newsgroups.

The maximum we are getting is around 1000 kb/s whereas we were expecting nearly double that.

I did change the encryption to WPA-PSK from WEP but that shouldn't make a difference should it?

Also it might be worth noting that the line/broadband was activated a week ago today but surely if the sync speed is around 20,000 then I should be getting around 20mb?

Thanks for the reply(ies).

Permabanned
You are using wireless?

Wireless is not full duplex so if you are connecting to the router at 54mb you will actually get half that or there abouts as a little is lost to encryption/authentication.

the best way to test it is to use something like www.giganews.com speedtest from a wired port, not wireless.

It could also be that you are on 10mb profile.

Associate
OP
You are using wireless?

Wireless is not full duplex so if you are connecting to the router at 54mb you will actually get half that or there abouts as a little is lost to encryption/authentication.

the best way to test it is to use something like www.giganews.com speedtest from a wired port, not wireless.

It could also be that you are on 10mb profile.

Yeah we are using wireless, but surely that shouldn't affect it that much?

I will try to connect to the modem using an ethernet cable later today to see and will let you know.

Also, with the 10mb profile thing, what can we do? Do we ring up O2 to ask them to change us to the higher profile because we are currently paying the premium price with O2 discount (i.e. the 20mb package)?

Thanks again

Associate
As suggested try the connection using an ethernet cable and not wirelessly. Also it might be an idea to reboot the router to see if their is any change in the connection & speed? Are you still in the first 10 training days? If so it can take up to 10 days for the connection to fully stabilise. As you are currently connected at 20,000 then you should be seing downloads of around 2,200kbps.

Liam

Permabanned
Did you read what I said about wireless not being full duplex? :confused:

You might be connecting to the router at 27mb for all you know so the reported download speed will be about right at 10mb.

Use a wired connection.

Associate
OP
Ah cheers guys, just tested it with the ethernet and yes, you guys are right, its because of the wireless because I got speeds of 2200 kb/s when connected by ethernet cable.

So now I know the problem, is there anyway wireless adaptors that support faster speeds than I currently have?

Thanks again everyone.

Soldato
I havnt used N speed technology so can't say. But wireless has never been good enough for my needs.

At uni I invested in power over ethernet homeplug adapters. Netgear HDX101s to be exact. They were fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom