• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Epic launch fail by ATI?

Associate
Now i realise they gave those overpriced chumps(Dell) the majority of the first stock they had of the new cards.

Over a week later, not a single 5850 can be found, & the 5870's are popping up in little numbers.

Most sites don't even have them listed still.

ATI get the chance to steal a march on the overpriced Nvidia, and what do they do?

Fail......

Pretty annoying, im about a week away from getting a new rig, and the little sign of the 5850's is worrying & as i say very annoying.

Does any company ever prepare for these launches right:rolleyes:

Soldato
ATi nor AMD have really failed. Being able to shift the tonne of stock they will have done to Dell is great for them.

You need to keep on top of OcUK's updates. They've been pretty good at acquiring stock in comparison to most competitors.

Patience is a virtue.

Associate
Selling to Dell will make them more money than selling a few more retail cards, they have a guaranteed order from Dell. Why would anyone say no?

It never ceases to amaze me how members of this forum think that ATi are somehow different ethically than any other business, they are not, they are there to make cash, end of.

Caporegime
Well done fan boy,

end user sales in the uk, maybe, maybe 50k over the life of the 5870, Dell, will sell a million or more in their computers over the life of the card, you think they should make sure their smallest customers get stock first, or their biggest?

As for stock, the 5850 only just launched yesterday, shocking it wasn't in stock, as for the 5870, I can see some in stock right now at several stores, hundreds infact, and there hasn't been a day since launch that I haven't seen at least one store with some in stock.

People really can be dumb, you build things, you sell them, no one builds every last card they'll ever sell, get them all ready, then launch the product, no company has EVER done that and no company ever will do that.

THe plant makes them, they go to various places, they get sold as they are made, this, is life, and hasn't changed for 20 years in any industry in the world.

Go be a Nvidia fanboy elsewhere, its not interesting, funny or even, you know, accurate.

lol, most sites don't have them listed? There isn't a single large computer components selling store in the UK not listing them, even most of the smaller ones have them listed and some in stock.

Associate
It's just a supply and demand problem. Demand is at it's highest at launch time, while supply is at it's lowest due to how chip manufacturing needs time to be improved. They could stockpile them in a warehouse for month, but then everyone misses out, not just 20% of the people.

Associate
OP
Did someone just call me a fanboy..:rolleyes: jesus this place at times:rolleyes:

Yes, im a Nvidia fanboy, thats why im buying the ATI 5850:rolleyes:

Can anyone start a topic on this forum, without some clown bringing the fanboy crap up?

Associate
Bah, its not as if there's any decent games out there that needs all this power anyway.

My graphics card kindly died the other day, I'm using a celeron650 with 256ram and integrated gfx, so yeah, wouldnt mind having my rig up and running as I cant see buying something lesser is good economy right now

Soldato
sounds to me more like he was disappointed about 5850 availability and wanting clarification as to why he can't get one yet, or a discussion about why they are launching this way or what the reason is. the fanboy rant was way OTT

Associate
seems not, and tbh its frustrating me more and more these days.

fanboy ;)

On a serious note, and like others have said, it only seems like a failure of a launch to you because there aren't many available. If you turn it round, ATi will be thinking "what a great launch" because they have sold all of their stock and demand is still sky high.

Associate
OP
Im annoyed at the 5850 taking time, ive put off a system for 2 months or so like mentioned before(to wait for these cards), to then have to wait even longer is annoying as i say.

Am i not allowed to have a opinion that is partly negative. It don't make me a fanboy of either, i will be buying the 5850 as it's cracking value.

When it comes out. Was not a fanboy rant, just a tad tired of waiting so long.

Hope that clears it up.

Back
Top Bottom