New PC, No connection

Associate
Hey

So I received my new pc yesterday, hooked it all up, Installed graphics drivers and everything from the mobo installation disc, all went well, but the computer just wouldn't connect to the internet, I had put my old HDD into the new computer so I figured I wouldn't need to reinstall the router stuff (I dont have the install cd anymore). It just kept saying "Windows did not find any network hardware" but it was connected up directly to the router, just like my old computer.

I put the old HDD back in my old comp, hooked it back up and it was straight back on the net. OCUK tech support said I should reinstall windows, so I bought Vista again (never had this on disc) and installed it on my new HDD, installed all gfx drivers, mobo cd etc... so techinicaly brand new pc this time, but same thing with the internet, little red 'x' over the icon in the bottom right, and it says the same thing, that is cant find any network hardware.

There's no "Network adapters" option under device manager, everything else connects to the internet fine though, Xbox through ethernet and both the computer downstairs and laptop both connect wirelessly.

Im really confused now, as I dont have the installation cd for my router anymore, I was thinking about going out and buying a new router, but I dont know if that would actualy help? worried Ill come back and it will still say it cant find network hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated, the computer I bought was the "Titan Nero" from OcUK.

Associate
Make sure your network drivers are installed properly, you might have missed the driver or it has not installed properly. Usually if your LAN adapter is on your motherboard you will find that the drivers will be on the Motherboard CD.

Liam

Permabanned
If other devices are connecting to the net ok its NOT your router.

Sounds like you are missing a driver for the network card, what motherboard is it?

Or maybe its disabled in the BIOS.

I am surprised you were told to reinstall windows :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply's :) Im not good with this type of stuff...

motherboard is a GIGABYTE M61PME-S2P

I installed everything the disc recommended me too, there was 3, under chipset drivers, they where...

nVIDIA Chipset Driver for 32Bit Vista
Realtek HD Audio Driver
nVIDIA IDE Driver for 32Bit Vista

there are some other things to install, but they wasnt recommended, just optional so I didnt think it would be any of those. they where under application softwhere...

C.O.M. (Corporate Online Manager)
EasyTune 5
DMI Viewer
Face-Wizard
@BIOS

Other than all that I cant find anything else to install, I dont know what Im doing wrong :(

Soldato
Enable the network card from the bios as it sounds like its been disabled and get the driver from the manufacturers website (gigabyte) not from the windows updates.

Permabanned
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3009&ost=others#anchor_os

Thats the link to the driver download section of the website, choose your OS and the LAN drivers.

First thing I would check is that it is not disabled in the BIOS.

Do you know how to access the BIOS?

When the machine first boots, you will get a message saying something like press F2 to access system/bios (could be F9 or F10 or F11! you get the picture)

Then there will be an option somewhere like "load set up defaults" or words to that effect.

Choose that and then reboot, that should sort the bios if it needs it.

Associate
OP
Ok I went to BIOS and reset the defaults, but I think if it was the "On-Chip MAC LAN" that was going to be causing the problem if it was disabled, it was already enabled so I guess that wasnt it :(

Thanks for the link, I think I tried it before, Im not sure if I did it right though, I downloaded and copy & pasted to my USB, took it upstairs and extracted to desktop, but inside the file was just a lot more files with cog symbols on them, I didnt know what to do >< really bad with the technical side of comps lol, I just want to play Aion.

By the way, seeing as Im on a new HDD now, wouldnt I need the installation CD for my netgear router anyway for it to work? because I lost that a long long time ago.

Really have no clue what Im meant to do, thought this would just be plug in and play :( and im curious as to why such an important driver isnt on the install disc in the first place =/

Permabanned
The file you downloaded should have a file you run to install the drivers for the LAN card.

if you are using vista then there maybe a small "shield" like picture on one of the icons, try running that one.

Associate
OP
Ok so went there and done it, downloaded it for vista64...

Started the setup wizzard, and it told me it was going to install 3 files:

NVIDIA SMbus driver
NVIDIA Away mode driver
NVIDIA Storage driver

no ethernet driver, which is strange because when I download the 32bit version for this comp, and run the installer, it lists all those drivers plus Ethernet Driver.

No idea whats wrong, and there is no network devices tab in my device manager, no unknown devices either :(

loads of reviews on this, people buying it just days before me and it was pretty much plug in and play, I dont understand why im having problems.

Associate
OP
So I just checked if I put this HDD with with vista 32 in my new comp, and then try and install the drivers for vista 32 on my new comp as when I went to do that on my old computer it showed as it would install the ethernet drivers, as it did on the computer downstairs aswell....

but go figure, I put the vista 32 HDD in my new comp and setupwiz only says its going to install the 3 I listed before again, with no ethernet driver listed.

Is it possible that Ive got really unlucky and the network adapter in the comp is plain dead?

Back
Top Bottom