need good mb for q6600

Associate
i keep picking a mobo i thinks good then someone telling me its got problems and i need to buy today and tomoz

its need to be a good overclocker
good with ram
have crossfire so i can later buy another 5850
and will my system bottlekneck my cards

thanks for all the help

and worried my 5850 might not fit in cm storm sniper case

Soldato
that p5n-e sli is a nightmare for overclocking the q6600 because of the crappy nforce chipset, i had the same about 20mths ago and was one of the lucky ones to overclock it to 3ghz, either get a abit ip35 pro xe or similar p35 board like the gigabyte boards, but make sure its not a nvidia chipset. on the abit ip35 pro xe board ive had it overclocked to 3.86ghz, could have went more but temps held me back.

Associate
OP
that p5n-e sli is a nightmare for overclocking the q6600 because of the crappy nforce chipset, i had the same about 20mths ago and was one of the lucky ones to overclock it to 3ghz, either get a abit ip35 pro xe or similar p35 board like the gigabyte boards, but make sure its not a nvidia chipset. on the abit ip35 pro xe board ive had it overclocked to 3.86ghz, could have went more but temps held me back.

yeah they are a nightmare i hate iit i want to burn it lol and could you link me to mb

Soldato
just notice you wanted crossfire, x48 chipset will be better then for the speed on the pci-e lanes

ive ordered one of these, getting it tomorrow: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-015-FC&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1050

but you would need ddr3 memory, let me look what else there is, how much were you looking to spend? might be worth selling that crappy p5n-e / or melting it down ;)

the P5Q is a excellent overclocking board: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-341-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1155

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
for round £100 theres plenty good overclocking boards, overclockers seems limited at the moment, but i would look into a Gigabyte P45 board, ive heard they are the best for overclocking up to 4ghz and more with ease, something like this (but has no crossfire) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-172-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1155 - the only reason i got the foxconn board was for the DDR3.

this wont help but i sold my p5n-e on ebay last year some time, only got £17 squid for it!

Soldato
2 ways of looking at it then really:

1) go with the blackops, and pay £70 or whatever for the ddr3 ram, so thats around £150

or

2) buy a P5Q (also ddr2/ddr3 compatible) or gigabyte board for around £90 both quality for overclocking with, save yourself £60 and put that to something else

decisions decisions ;)

hope it works out either way for you mate.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Id reccomend the asus p5q deluxe, i had one that clocked both a q6600 and q9550 to 3.8ghz with ease. x48 will give you full blown xfire at x16 per slot (x8 with 2 cards on p45) but p45 will overclock a bit better.

Soldato
I'd be tempted to go the P45 route as oppose to the X38/48. The P45 chipset based boards are without a doubt the best core 2 (quad) overclocking platform, and even if you wanted to go crossfire later on down the line, it's highly unlikely that you'll notice a difference in the speed of the slots see here

Back
Top Bottom