Pointless debate: Sandwiches vs. Baguettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Baguettes are not a standard size. The word "baguette" doesn't mean it has to be 3feet long by default to be able to call it a baguette. Therefore if you cut a baguette in half you do have 2 baguettes , only smaller than the original.

If I cut a baguette in half and gave half to someone , we would both have a baguette.

If it were not 2 baguettes I wouldn't be able to give one away.

EDIT : If I cut it in half lengthways I think you could call it half a baguette :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Still part of one pie, it's just been cut into pieces.

So, you have a piece of pie.

You could have started with 10 pies, or 1/4 of a pie.

Let me put it slightly differently.

You have one plate with some pie on it - a plate of pie.
You then cut it into two parts and put the other part on a second plate.

You now have two plates of pie.

You take one baguette, and you cut it in half. You put each along side a plate of soup. You have two "soup and baguette".

Associate
You could have started with 10 pies, or 1/4 of a pie.

Let me put it slightly differently.

You have one plate with some pie on it - a plate of pie.
You then cut it into two parts and put the other part on a second plate.

You now have two plates of pie.

You take one baguette, and you cut it in half. You put each along side a plate of soup. You have two "soup and baguette".

But in each case a new item does not come into existence, it is still a segment/slice/piece/etc of the original.

It's all to do with ambiguity/explicitness in the way we speak.

Technically, a menu item listed as "soup and baguette" should give you soup with a whole length of baguette. Otherwise, it should say "soup and a slice of baguette".

Bottom line:

Apparently, if you cut a baguette into 2, it becomes 2 baguettes!

Again, it's just ambiguity in speach. It's technically 2 slices/pieces of a baguette.

Soldato
Technically, a menu item listed as "soup and baguette" should give you soup with a whole length of baguette. Otherwise, it should say "soup and a slice of baguette".

What if you asked for toast and scrambled egg... and they came back with toast and one single egg scrambled. You would expect more than that.

You're right though it is about ambiguities of speech.

Soldato
A sandwich cut in half is two sandwiches.

I bought a sandwich from the co-op and the label read "50% extra free - Three sandwiches for the price of two".

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom