Bargin Hunting

Associate
Good afternoon

Right I posted a while back explaining that I had a new job etc and was looking to buy a second hand car for around the 7k mark and asked for suggestions.

Now to be honest I think i've completely changed my mind based on a thread I saw here the other day. Now what i'm thinking of doing is buying something for around the 2k mark. Now my journey to work will be about 70 miles aday so i'm looking for cheap motorway cruiser thats diesel.

Now I know a few of you may think that my idea seems crazy and by all means give your reasons behind your thinking. But my reasons are basically i think if i have something cheap that will do me for a year 18months max in the mean time I can save up for something a little better.

I've spotted some very nice Mondeo's from about £1700-2000 with about 80k on the clock 2000-2002 models. Also seen some Ford Focus for about the same amount of money. Whats the difference between Mondeo's and Focuses. Other then one is bigger then the other :p. They all seem to be about the same other then engine size and trim.

I really dont know if this is a good idea but thought I would let OCUK motor gang cast judgement on my lackless knowledge and correct me at will :D
If there are any other suggested cars please let me know.

Cheers

Soldato
For motorway munching the Mondeo is a great car, just more roomy.

For some reason people on here also like the Rover 75 CDTi for this purpose, which is unusual for OcUK :D

Both great cars and within budget, definitely Mondeo over Focus.

Associate
I ran a TDCi mondeo for about 18 months as a motorway cruiser. Couldn't really fault it. Reliable, smooth, cheap to service and I managed about 50-55mpg on most trips.

Even the base spec ones should have cruise, climate etc. I went for a mondeo over a focus as it seemed easier to get a nice one with a better spec for an (often) lower price. Currently got mine up for sale if you're interested!

Associate
that'd be this one then:

ad

I don't profess to know much about other diesel motorway mile-muchers, but if you've got any questions about the mondeo specifically, just ask!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom