Rio gets 2016 Olympics

Associate
I'm in Chicago at the moment (their bid was knocked out at the first round of voting).

Now every news station here is talking about it and trying to figure out if this is some kind of political statement from the rest of the world... Umm, no. Someone has to come dead last and it this time it just happened to be you Chicago. Bad luck.

Anyway, it's pretty funny and I think the Brazilians will be great hosts! Well done Rio! :D

Soldato
Oh, I should have said I was pleased Rio got it. I've never been there, but it's a huge city, and Latin America is big on culture. It should be an amazing spectacle. Still think it's funny that America didn't get it. It might severely damage Obama, since he put a lot of effort into it, and they got eliminated in the first cut.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Ive been to Rio and I like it :p

I should be living in Brazil within a couple of years...looking forward to world cup 2014 and olympics now :)

Soldato
Ive been to Rio and I like it :p

I should be living in Brazil within a couple of years...looking forward to world cup 2014 and olympics now :)
Whereabouts you coming to?

I'm already here...

Rio is a great city, but why exactly would you want to be living in Brazil may I ask? Most go the other way!

Many reasons to "want to live in Brazil" - I needed a change of life and pace, now happily married (to a Brazilian) and a baby on the way.

Copacabana was packed today with people, a huge party this morning waiting for the result (today was semi offical holiday), I was shopping and heard the result on the radio in the streets, at which point the whole city screamed with happiness.

Brazilians are unique when it comes to expressing happiness.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I wonder how many people will just 'disappear' to make Brazil look like something other than the unbelievably violent 3rd World Country it really is once you brush away the surface gloss? As the old adage goes, 'You can't polish a turd'!

Before any of the self-righteous brigade start, yes I have been to Brazil on more than one occasion, and not just Rio during 'tourist season' either.

Soldato
I wonder how many people will just 'disappear' to make Brazil look like something other than the unbelievably violent 3rd World Country it really is once you brush away the surface gloss? As the old adage goes, 'You can't polish a turd'!

Before any of the self-righteous brigade start, yes I have been to Brazil on more than one occasion, and not just Rio during 'tourist season' either.

I honestly hope that having the World Cup and the Olympics here will make long lasting changes for the better, one area of the games will/should be completely changed to accomedate the games.

In the two years that I have lived here I have never expeirenced first hand any violance, I have seen/been clost to mild violance, but so far I've been safe.

Associate
OP

So what? You could make the same remark about China and its corruption, they still did a great job of the Olympics.

And the UK has its fair share of unmitigated violence, yet are hosting the 2012 Olympics.

Soldato
funny how they are so shocked like they assume they will win, The arrogant *****. I think it is only fair to let other contries have a turn. Rio might not be at the standard of the USA or most of Europe but if they think they can do it then let them.

Back
Top Bottom