• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Laptop CPU

Associate
Not sure if I should ask in here or the laptops section but I've got an IBM Lenovo T61 with a T7300 (2GHz 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB) at the moment but I've on the Lenovo website on the spec for the T61 that it can take upto a T7700 (2.4 GHz 4 MB L2 cache 800 MHz FSB)

Would it be possible to upgrade a laptop CPU and how easy is it to do on an IBM?

Any help would be appreciated!

Associate
Just make sure you are damn good at taking apart and putting back together. Two points to remember, one make sure you have flashed latest bios for your laptop (you dont want the lappy not to recognise the new processor). The second point I learned from my own experience, I upgraded a 2mb cache processor to a 6mb cache processor and found out that the heatpipe (part of the heatsink) which sits on the processor wouldnt fit, this was because the 2mb die is smaller than the 6mb die.

Soldato
to be honest if you're looking for a performance gain id recommend using a windows overclocking utility such as setfsb, so then you can get a boost in performance without all that hassle.

Soldato
Consider putting an ssd in it. Low power => better battery life, and the performance increase is remarkable. I would go down this road before putting a quicker processor in it.

Back
Top Bottom