Unlocking X2 550 problems, help please!!

Associate
Hi i have the P2 X2 550 and i decided i would try to unlock the extra cores. I updated to the latest bios. First of all my system specs. I have: P2 X2 550, 4GB DDR2, 4850, Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 Rev 2.0 motherboard. I know for a fact to unlock the extra cores you need an AMD motherboard with the SB710 or SB750 chipset (which i have) and you need to update to the latest BIOS. I just want to get it out of the way that my motherboard is 100% capable of unlocking the extra cores (my friend did it with the exact same motherboard, he purchased one around the same time as me and they both are the exact same, including the revision) So anyway now for the problem. After i updated the BIOS i went to Advanced clock calibration and enabled all cores, after that i went to EC Firmware and set it to hybrid. I got a message saying the BIOS was updating ECCfirmware then my system rebooted. After that.... no POST at all. Nothing on screen would show up. System would just not boot. I then went to clear the CMOS via jumper cables and removing the battery and tried again but this time setting ACC to auto,same thing happened. Wouldn't boot. What is going on here? Can you give any advice on what setting to change, do i need to change any voltages to unlock the extra cores? or are they just not stable, every time i select EC Firmware to hybrid my system wont boot or enter POST. HELP PLEASE!

Associate
OP
Might be a chip with the cores binned as dead rather than disabled.

That's what i was afraid of, would that cause my system to not be able to boot, i thought it would at least make the extra cores just not work? Hell i'm no expert. Let'sjust asume for a second that there is nothing wrong with the extra cores and they were just disabled by AMD. Could there be any voltage setting i could try changing to make it work or is voltage not a factor at all?

Associate
OP
Not having enough voltage wouldn't exactly cause it not to POST... if the cores were actually dead then i think it would. Can you reset the BIOS somehow and up the voltage to check? What is it now?

Well i can change the voltage before i enable ECC Firmware but how much voltage are we talking here?. I do not want to **** up my CPU by giving it too much lol, Also i'll change the RAM voltage too if you think that would help, Just tell me how much by and i will let you know if it goes through POST.

Soldato
Well since you probably haven't changed it at all i'd just start off with a 0.2v increase on the CPU. Then if that doesn't work you can try fiddling with the RAM. If it does then just knock it down a few notches and find the lowest that it will work at while still being stable.

Associate
OP
Ok i tried every possible thing under the sun and it still wouldnt work. It looks like i just got a bad batch. Thanks for your help anyway Superewza.

Back
Top Bottom