Android Apps (whats your favorite?)

Associate
Just got my hero and after playing with a load of apps for a few days these are the ones i'm keeping

BBC News - News feed by category
Net Sentry - Usage monitor for all those on capped data plans (Inc. notifications)
GPS Status -Detailed output of gps status
Barcode Scanner - Its always cheaper online!
Compass - what it says
Wikitude - Augmented browser
Layar Reality Browser - Another good augmented browser
Astrid - Very good task manager
Google Sky Map - Pointless but cool!
OS Map - For all those walkers out there.
Wi Fi Buddy - sniffs out the strongest open network
Apps Installer - installs apps from sd card
Shazam - name that tune
Scan to PDF - photo to pdf
Locale - Alter phone settings based on GPS location, time or day of the week - one of my favorite apps. (Phone is silent in the office but turns ringtones back on when I go out to lunch!)
TV-Guide UK - sorted into categories, sport films etc
Co-Pilot - The best sat nav there is for android

Still looking for a decent calender app though, ancal is good but doesnt sync with google.

Associate
Very nice list there stubie doo. :)

Hoping soon to have the balls to order an HTC Magic and that list will certainly be of interest to me then. :p

You still not done it?????

Come on.. be a man:p

Seriously tho, might be worth watching the horizon for newer/better devices depending on if your looking at a 12/18/24 month contract. As great as the magic is, I would still find it galling to get one only for htc or whoever to announce a brand spanking android handset.

Soldato
Nah. :(:o

Want to make sure my contract gets extended beyond December before I reckon I'm safe financially. :D

Yeah I'm looking at an 18 month contract and the HTC Magic is the only HTC or Android phone I'm drawn to right now. If HTC make another Android phone that looks good or there's another Android phone on the market I like the look of I might be tempted. Would have thought that sooner or later the Magic will be superceded by a newer and better phone either in the Android world or by HTC so I want to make sure I know what's coming before I order a Magic. :)

Soldato
Can't believe MarcLister STILL hasn't got one. Anyway to the point.

Guardian Anywhere :- Great news app that you can schedule to download news at any time you like, I do it at 0300 (it can take a while), so it's ready for me in the morning.

Gaming Buzz & Tech Buzz :- 2 desktop widgets that have configurable news on them. I leave Gaming Buzz set to 360 news and Tech Buzz on Android news.

That'll do. I think I posted a more detailed list earlier in the thread.

Soldato
These are my favourite ones after a couple of weeks with the phone:

Last.fm & Streamfurious for online Radio content

Wallpaper Set & Save - because for some reason just setting a wallpaper normally loses quality.

Twidgit lite is nice and I use this and Twitdroid for twitter.

Weatherbug elite I've found the best weather app so far.

WiFi Buddy Beta and WiFi Analyser are useful for scanning networks.

Record It for TV Guide and Sky Remote recording, worth the couple of £ it cost me IMO.

Soldato
London Tube Status [Travel]

An essential app if you ever travel by tube in London. Shows you the live status of all lines (excluding DLR) and also features live departure boards for virtually every station. It also features a handy 'favourites' function for fast access to the stations you use most often.

The only thing it doesn't do is provide you with a tube map and show you how to get from A to B, but that's where the app below comes in.

London Underground (London City) [Travel]

As far as I know this is the only free tube app that has a licensed map from TfL, so it's worth picking up just for that. But it's also a handy guide for getting around London and when paired with London Tube Status you'll be navigating your way across London via the tube with consummate ease.

Bubble [Tools]

At first I thought this was a bit of a gimmick and only loaded on my Hero so I could mess around with it, but once calibrated it's actually quite useful and pretty accurate. I can see this coming in handy...

Dolphin Browser [Communication]

I find this to be a fair bit faster to load pages than the default browser, but annoyingly it doesn't support Flash. It does support gestures, multitouch and all manner of other nifty features, so it's certainly worth loading on your Android device and running in tandem with the in-built browser.

ASTRO File Manager [Productivity]

A fantastic app for managing all the files on your Android phone and for backing up and moving data around. Also a brilliant way of backing up all your apps to your SD card - just install ASTRO after a wipe and restore all your apps from the card!

Abduction! [Games]

The only game I've got loaded on my Hero and there's a reason why - it's so damn addictive. Unfortunately it's also quite punishing, but with regular practice you'll soon be bouncing your way to the top of the levels with ease. And believe me; you'll not get tired of practising!

Also worth checking out Abduction! World Attack if you have £1.35 to spare and liked what you saw in the free version.

NetSentry [Tools]

I wasn't sure whether to use this or NetCounter as they both seemed to get positive reviews, so I installed them both and ran them side-by-side to see which worked for me - and there was a clear winner. NetSentry's UI and its wealth of features makes it by far the better app. I'd class this as essential.

SMS Popup [Tools]

A very simple program that pops up a notification on your screen when you receive a text message. Sounds simple, is simple, works brilliantly. Should be a pre-installed app.

In fact the only downside is that the Messages software on my Hero doesn't like it. But that's not a problem as I use chompSMS to manage my texts.

chompSMS [Communication]

There were a number of annoying issues with my Hero's Messages application that I couldn't work my way around. Things like not being able to select a recipient from a list and instead having to type their name out. But having discovered chompSMS I've not looked back. A truly fantastic app.

SMS Backup [Tools]

Automatically backs up your text messages to your Gmail/Google Mail account. Almost worth signing up for an account just so you can use this.

WiFinder [Communication]

So far this is the only WiFi scanner app I've found that works. Seems a lot more reliable than the built-in WiFi app on my Hero and also shows signal strength of all your local access points.

Compass [Tools]

A very basic compass app that works. Simple as that really.

Astrid Task/Todo Lists [Productivity]

A beautifully designed and realised task manager application that's good enough for it to have been installed on the phone by default.

ShopSavvy [Shopping]

Scan a barcode with your camera and this app will find the best prices for you on the internet as well as local stores. Very useful.

Locale [Productivity]

As the blurb says it 'dynamically manages your phone settings based on conditions, such as Location and Time'. I use it to switch my Hero to silent when I get to my office and turn all the sounds back on when I leave again as well as turning off all those battery draining functions when I'm running low on juice. A truly brilliant app.

Barcode Scanner [Shopping]

Another barcode scanner like ShopSavvy but this one has some other features. Namely being able to scan in QR barcodes like you'll find on the AndroLib and having your phone find and install them.

Shazam [Multimedia]

Ever been listening to a piece of music and couldn't quite work out who it was by? Not any more!

GPS Status [Travel]

Displays your GPS status along with detailed information about how many satellites you are connecting to, your speed, acceleration and bearing. It's even got a compass. What more could you want?

Advanced Task Killer [Productivity]

Some people insist they don't need an application like this, but I've found it to be essential when my phone is cluttered up with apps running in the background and hogging memory. Easy to set up, easy to use and works brilliantly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice list Glitch! I've grabbed Abduction, SMS Backup (don't know why I didn't use this before) and Astrid (which is beautifully designed).

Does anyone know where to get some decent wallpapers? I've set my phone up (visually) ages ago and like how it looks but am getting a bit bored. I downloaded a selection of wallpapers through market but they were all really tacky/cheesy, I like the included ones but there's only about 6...

Back
Top Bottom