• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Patch to enable PhysX with AMD GPUs

Soldato
In addition, for some incomprehensible reasons, the latest version of PhysX System Software also prevents PPU cards (such as BFG PPU) from working if a Non-Nvidia GPU is present.
How nvidia stopped standalone PPU cards from working if a non-nvidia GPU is present is so wrong..

Soldato
Yep I did have a Physx card in conjunction with my ATi card it stopped working a few driver packages ago the ***** killed it off

That's just so damn wrong. People bought into their PhysX and they kill into ff just because of the off-chance there's a non nVidia GPU being used.

It's just so... wrong.

But what's ethics to businessmen? :p

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Yeah it is their tech, so they can do what they like with it

however disabling their card if ATI is present is out of order through, consdering the user BROUGHT that card, its not like they are hacking it to work on radeons

Caporegime
There's nothing illegal, after all it's nVidia owned technology.. annoying for PPU owners though. ;)

It's still wrong.. What about PPU owners? How's it legal to stop them using there graphics card?.

Yeah it is their tech, so they can do what they like with it

however disabling their card if ATI is present is out of order through, consdering the user BROUGHT that card, its not like they are hacking it to work on radeons

I'd agree.. But if someone buys an ATI card as there main renderer (My 5870 for example), and I put a 9600GT for PhysX.. I've paid for a card to use PhysX.. But Nvidia don't allow ATI cards at all with Nvidia... Isn't that "Anti competitive?"..

They do these things which makes me think "They're a hinderance"

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I've paid for a card to use PhysX.. But Nvidia don't allow ATI cards at all with Nvidia... Isn't that "Anti competitive?"..

They do these things which makes me think "They're a hinderance"

Yes, it is I do so agree, i think there should be a limit on what people can do with "their tech" not allowing the old physics cards to run anymore is annoying as said, but actively searching for ATI cards and crippling their own hardware is out of order, however if Nvidia just took away support for that, it would be fine Ill be happy with that.

But is not as "anti competitive" as using games to get back at ATI, by disabling eye caddy such as AA. and coding it so it favours their cards and brings ATI to their knees

Soldato
There's nothing illegal, after all it's nVidia owned technology.. annoying for PPU owners though. ;)

I'm not sure, it may breach advertising law for PPU owners at least - product not working as advertised for guys who also use an ATi graphics card, despite that at the time they bought, they may have known nothing about Nvidia buying Ageia. Also, it seems like Nvidia are actively trying to lock out smaller graphics vendors by preventing consumers from making full use of their technology if they also use a different company's technologies - that would be anticompetitive in that it exhibits monopolistic behaviour.

a monopoly exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.

Going by wackypedia that sounds a lot like what Nvidia are trying to achieve here. I'm not saying they're there right now, but it's where they're headed with these proprietary technologies.

Last edited:

AMG

AMG

Soldato
So there is a law stating that tech that belong to a company CAN'T be used against another one?

In that case than why haven't the EU hit them with a fine twice over, thats the second time Nvidia have shown this behavour

they hit Microsoft and Intel with one, and Microsoft didn't deserve that, as they have every right to ship IE with their OS

Soldato
This is about people who have already bought an Nvidia card with PhysX capabilities, and Nvidia locking them out because they're running an ATi card simultaneously with the Nvidia card rendering PhysX in the system. The people have bought cards from both companies have been running them at the same time. They are totally entitled to the features. Stop trying to play the holier than thou **** by accusing those people of 'stealing' technology, it's ridiculous in this case. I repeat, this is about people who HAVE bought NVIDIA cards and are running them to render PhysX, along with an ATi card to render graphics, and Nvidia is disabling this totally arbitrarily. This is not hard to grasp.

Edit: On second thought, obvious troll is unnecessarily obvious.

Add to that the people who bought ppu's. These cards if i remember were not exactly cheap. Its a little like when amd bought ati as they still support older ati gpu's which were made well before amd bought the company but nvidia have totally dropped support for the ppu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom