Exernal Hard Drive problem cont. - SATA question

Associate
Hi guys,

Linking on from my previous thread (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18060730), we came to the conclusion that i should try to remove the problem external hard drive from the case ("caddy") because of what is wrong with the usb connection, etc. Apparently i can then connect it via sata to a desktop and access the data i need to recover that way.

However this leads me into my question. So i remove it from the case etc ready to go in, have the required sata cable and sata power cable (apre already in desktop, i can see 4 SATA slots on the mobo (1 (black colour) already has a cable going to desktop's hard drive. Remaining is a white/slightly beige coloured slot, a blue coloured slot and a yellow coloured slot. ->

So my 2 questions are:

1)which of these coloured slots should i connect the external hard drive to?, are they all the same, are they meant for other hard drives?

and

2) What do i do as such, turn on the comp log in plug it in and it'll simply come up and i can instantly use it and get the data back, or do i have to go into bios then plug it in and do something? (bear in mind i know absolutely nothing about bios, zilch) annd i only wanna connect the external hard drive up to take the stuff of it and then never need to use it again.

please any help/advice/instructions would be appreciated beyond belief, when it comes to hardware i really am a rookie.

Thanks in advance

The Scop

Associate
OP
Just found out the mobo is an ati ixp 400 (quite old i'm guessing), google image search it and its the green board with the muti coloured sata ports, any help appreciated.

The Scop

Back
Top Bottom