The big debate - are Apple's worth the money?

Soldato
I would like to reiterate the above about the strength of the old MBP as I have dropped mine from 4 ft and it only got a very small dent. Everything still work and no other issues (was in a car park and it slipped out of my hands and was in a thin case so no scratches).

The green button is very useful if you use different screen resolutions on your laptop and you want to resize the window to full screen. This is the only good thing I have found it does. So if you switch from multiple resolution monitors without stopping its great.

Soldato
I've been using OSX for nearly 3 years now. My first use was on a Powerbook G4, for work. I'd always been a very strong Windows advocate and really liked it. The initial few steps were not that difficult, just re-learning how to do things, and the general layout. Then 10.5 came out and I was really wowed by how easy and fast it was to upgrade the system. I was very impressed with it.
Then I got an iMac and that really blew me away, it really did, it's a very beautiful and well made machine. I really can't fault it.

Now, I use OSX more then windows for ALL non gaming stuff. It's a lot more intuitive and easy to get around. Why must you (in Windows) always go to Start to do most things? It's annoying and slow.
The OSX GUI is also a lot better then Windows, it's a lot more consistent and lot easier to get to specific system preference options. Spotlight also deserves a mention, especially it's in-built calculator function :)
The dock is excellent and NO windows copy can do what it does as well as it does. People choose Windows out of convenience and past knowledge, if they were to know OSX as well as they knew Windows, I have no doubt that many would switch.

Look at how well Apple dealt with the switch from PowerPC to Intel, could Microsoft do the same ? I very much doubt it, even when going from XP to Vista there was so many issues, so how they would deal with a major hardware change like that I doubt would be so elegant.

That's not to say I hate/dislike Windows, it does what it does well enough, and it has it's strengths. I have a MacBook with both OSX and Windows, and I am very pleased with how well both run. Windows 7 will be the step up that Microsoft need to make.

I digress; Macs are very much worth the money and I though the initial outlay is higher, it is worth it, imho. Maybe there is an 'elitism' out of owning one, you are not owning a cheap, tacky piece of hardware, you get what you pay for. I saw my brother's Dell Studio XPS 16 and though it is much more powerful (gpu wise) the level of build quality is not as high as my MacBook Unibody.

Last edited:
Soldato
If OS X is so oustanding, then Apple have nothing to lose open it up to allow generic PC users to install it, yet they choose not to? Are they affraid that hardware manufacturers will shun supporting their platform, or just that they fear loosing sales from mac hardcore users?

Thing is, a large part of why OSX is so nice to use is that it works so well and so reliably. And a large part of that is that it's made to run on a comparatively tiny amount of hardware specifications. With Windows, you're really looking at effectively unlimited hardware configurations, with Mac OS, especially if you take Snow Leopard as your example, it's what... a hundred? two hundred? If you take it down to logic board/gpu/cpu/ram combinations it's less still.

If they let it be run on any old set of hardware, they'd lose a lot of its stability imo. And probably loads of money... and they're there to make money.

Soldato
I've had a macbook pro for a couple of weeks now and the main thing that strikes me most is the build quality. The machine feels like a professional work tool, and simply feels neat and tidy. When i was shopping around for laptops i couldn't find this with any other machine, and to be honest i don't know why, if apple can do it when cant other manufacturers?

With regards to the operating system i'm still getting used to it, but its fast, steamlined and gets the job done. So i'm altogether very pleased with my purchase :) my only gripe is the lack of customisation, and the costs to add another 2gb ram/bigger HDD on this 13" model were a bit shocking

Man of Honour
Update to my post about macs being tough:

Macbook pro versus sharp knife: knife wins :(

Knife fell from a shelf straight down onto the unibody case...there's the tiniest of dents (about 1mm long) now :(

Battle scar :cool:

Soldato
Update to my post about macs being tough:

Macbook pro versus sharp knife: knife wins :(

Knife fell from a shelf straight down onto the unibody case...there's the tiniest of dents (about 1mm long) now :(

Battle scar :cool:

Update to my post about MacBook Pro's being tough and well built.... left hand fan just failed. :(

Then again it's over 3.5 years old.

Anyone know a supplier of Mac spares in the UK? Apple Store is out of the question unless they'll let me order just the part.

Soldato
Update to my post about MacBook Pro's being tough and well built.... left hand fan just failed. :(

Then again it's over 3.5 years old.

Anyone know a supplier of Mac spares in the UK? Apple Store is out of the question unless they'll let me order just the part.

Google Apple Mac Parts, the top hit are the best guys to use.

Soldato
This question can't really be universally answered as everyone has different needs and indeed taste.

For me, the visual appearance of the machine is largely unimportant, but flexibility and compatibility in software is much more of an issue, so I can't justify the pretty hefty price tag Apple sticks on their machines.

I did hear that Apple will be pricing some of the newer low end Mac Books a bit more competitively soon?

Associate
I bought a brand new Macbook Pro earlier this year, full price, having never used a Mac before (only previous Apple experience was iPhone and iPod) - it is without a doubt the best laptop (and computer) I have ever used and it was worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom