• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

his 5870 running hot causes

Associate
Hi my 5870 seems to be running ok.

However it is running at 56C at idle.

The reason seems to be that the clocks at idle are at 400Mhz GPU & 1200Mhz Memory.

Other peoples cards seem to drop much lower - I am running windows 7 drivers that is recommended by ATI.

So is anyone else having this problem with 64bit windows7 RTM

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
I've exactly the same problem with the same HIS Radeon 5870, although mine seems to be even hotter and the clocks idle at 850/1200. The thread is here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18061461 I've tried everything suggested to me and none of that has worked. The only common factors I've found with people having the same issue are Win 7 and Asus motherboards but I'm not sure either can be the cause because otherwise loads of people would be where we are. Has it hit the performance of the card? Mine is awful in 3dmark, Windows Experience rating and video playback.

Associate
It won't be the drivers or windows 7, the clocks staying at the normal shouldn't be any really affect either

Maybe the cards are reporting false info, try using a different utility like GPU-Z or PC wizard 2009, it could also be the thermal paste between the GPU and heat sink, so the heat sink may need to be reseated

If it bothers you RMA it

Associate
OP
no to be honest it does not seemed to have hit the performance.

Windows gpu score was 7.8

also the fan never seems to change speed, i thought if the card was hot the fan would cut in but i have only ever heard it when set to manual.

I am inclined to believe that it is crappy drivers for windows 7

Soldato
Any of the 3D GUI bs in vista or W7 could be throttling up the Card, The cards switching will be app sensitive not load sensitive

Even some of the monitoring apps can cause switching

Associate
Any of the 3D GUI bs in vista or W7 could be throttling up the Card, The cards switching will be app sensitive not load sensitive

Even some of the monitoring apps can cause switching

does the card drop to 300mhz or 2D when is idling? I remembered my old 4890 drop to 200mhz when its idling. My XFX 5870 average temperature is around 35c when its idling.

Back
Top Bottom