Connecting Xbox 360 & Pc to 1 Monitor

Associate
i want to connect the xbox 360 and pc to the monitor at the same time, i was hoping to connect the xbox to the vga input of the monitor and connect the pc vga output to the dvi input on the monitor, i have just discovered that the dvi input in dvi-d meaning i cant connect analoge to it as i intended :(

so what is my options here,

i have 2 vga connections to go in 1 vga port, is there a decent switchbox handles 1680 x 1050 for 22" monitors without loss of quality

the pc is a dell gx270 the SFF desktop case so the gfx card is half height and im unsure if this can be swapped for a half height gfx card with a dvi output .

any other suggestions guys im poor and cant spend much, no job you see, so hoping for a cheap solution if possible ;)

Associate
I'd recommend getting a cheap card with a dvi output if you can, will probably be the cheapest option, even my old geforce 6200LE has dvi output you could probly get one of them for about a fiver on ebay. See if the card in there at the moment is pcie or agp and then just look for a cheap low-profile card with dvi output that will fit in your case. I used to use a kvm switch to switch between PC and xbox and it was a hassle.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Does the Xbox not put out to HDMI which can be easily changed to DVI?

PC in to the VGA
Xbox in to the DVI

Bobs your mothers brother.

Associate
OP
I'd recommend getting a cheap card with a dvi output if you can, will probably be the cheapest option, even my old geforce 6200LE has dvi output you could probly get one of them for about a fiver on ebay. See if the card in there at the moment is pcie or agp and then just look for a cheap low-profile card with dvi output that will fit in your case. I used to use a kvm switch to switch between PC and xbox and it was a hassle.

the 6200 gfx card go for about £20 on the auction site, i already bought a 5200 for £7.50 but its only vga, changing the card is an option if it turns out to be the cheapest and easist choice :)

Does the Xbox not put out to HDMI which can be easily changed to DVI?

PC in to the VGA
Xbox in to the DVI

Bobs your mothers brother.

i think its the hdmi xbox as it was bought in january 2009 but i have no idea if it converts to dvi, i just bought xbox 360 vga cable second hand costing £10 :( would i be able to use this and use an adapter ?

Associate
If it is a hdmi xbox then you could use a hdmi cable and a hdmi to dvi converter - that would probably be the cheapest option if you have the hdmi port on the xbox. Older premium & core version xbox consoles don't have hdmi. elite ones and newer standard ones do.

Associate
OP
If it is a hdmi xbox then you could use a hdmi cable and a hdmi to dvi converter - that would probably be the cheapest option if you have the hdmi port on the xbox. Older premium & core version xbox consoles don't have hdmi. elite ones and newer standard ones do.

the xbox 360 has the av port and a smaller port beside it which seems to say hdmi, so would i be better sticking with the genuine hdmi cable and what about a convertor, how much should this cost second hand ?

sounds like a plan :D

edit : can i use a standard hdmi cable for this and is there some dongle i need for audio ?

Last edited:

J.B

J.B

Soldato
you can get HDMI > DVI, they are not technically convertors, just a wire with 2 different heads as HDMI uses DVI standard just in a different pin config IIRC.

I bought one the other day for about 3 quid.

Trouble is you'd need seperate speakers for audio. Some TV/monitors will accept audio from a different source input when they are on DVI

Associate
OP
you can get HDMI > DVI, they are not technically convertors, just a wire with 2 different heads as HDMI uses DVI standard just in a different pin config IIRC.

I bought one the other day for about 3 quid.

Trouble is you'd need seperate speakers for audio. Some TV/monitors will accept audio from a different source input when they are on DVI

hi pc speakers are being used so no problem with seperate audio:D

does using the hdmi output give a better picture to the pc monitor than the vga does ?

have you noticed any difference in pic quality using the hdmi-dvi adapter ?

Associate
Just looked into it, because you wont be running audio over hdmi you'll need to get an RCA/optical audio cable adapter to plug into the xbox, this plugs into the AV output on the xbox allowing hdmi to connect to the monitor/hdtv and the audio to be connected seperately to speaker system.

As for the hdmi, i think you can either use a standard hdmi cable with a hdmi to DVI converter, or you can get a HDMI/DVI cable saving the need to get a converter. You can find the audio adapter for about 5-10 (some offers bundled with a hdmi cable), HDMI/DVI adapter for around 3-4.

I think this all correct as I can't see why they would sell the audio adapter bundled with a hdmi cable if it didn't work this way, but i use the vga cable which has it's own RCA outputs so can't speak from experience.

Associate
OP
Just looked into it, because you wont be running audio over hdmi you'll need to get an RCA/optical audio cable adapter to plug into the xbox, this plugs into the AV output on the xbox allowing hdmi to connect to the monitor/hdtv and the audio to be connected seperately to speaker system.

As for the hdmi, i think you can either use a standard hdmi cable with a hdmi to DVI converter, or you can get a HDMI/DVI cable saving the need to get a converter. You can find the audio adapter for about 5-10 (some offers bundled with a hdmi cable), HDMI/DVI adapter for around 3-4.

I think this all correct as I can't see why they would sell the audio adapter bundled with a hdmi cable if it didn't work this way, but i use the vga cable which has it's own RCA outputs so can't speak from experience.

thanks for the info, i have seen someone selling the microsoft 'kit' quite cheap, ie the audio dongle and hdmi cable, so if i get this plus a hdmi-dvi adapter im sorted, just connect the aucio to the pc speakers:D

Associate
OP
just bought this on an auction site for £11 and a hdmi-dvi adapter for £3.22 :D :D

thanks for your help guys ;)

!Bb4,8hg!mk~$(KGrHqQH-D!Equ5fmE5eBKyIjm60Hg~~_35.JPG

Back
Top Bottom