• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are ATI keeping the stock on the 5850 low on purpose?

Associate
Starting to p..... me off.

Does any site actually have these in stock? Seems like OCUK will not get anymore after this first batch for a while. Certainly not in next week or so.

Makes you wonder if ATI keeping the stock low on these so people fork out for the 5870, im almost bloody tempted myself:rolleyes:

Lets face it for price/performance the 5850 is a steal, the price on the 5870 is £40 or so too much imo.

Just happens to be loads of stock for this card though. Nice on ATI:o

Caporegime
There were 50k cards available on launch, with 40k going to Dell, why do people think these cards are made by the millions, in seconds and released instantly, mostly 5870's.

Stock takes time, production takes time, that, is life. It was launched on Thursday maybe IIRC, and a couple hundred have been in stock already, a few hundred more across the uk this week it would seem.

Early adoption isn't known for value, at all, early buyers are more in for the performance, so they have more performance cards available, another day where I can get a 5870 easily with next day delivery from several places. Likewise they don't want Dell releasing a bunch of barely beats Nvidia machines, they want Dell to launch a range of Nvidia spanking machines as it looks better to the world and presses the advantage better while Nvidia don't have a competing card.

Most people who really are looking for value for money, will wait a month/two till they hit £150-170 anyway.

Man of Honour
They got a massive deal with dell and most of the stock is going that way... and I can't blame them - financially they are on the ropes this deal will do a lot to strengthen their position.

Associate
OP
I know about the Dell deal:rolleyes:

Frankly i don't care about Dell or ATI, i want a card, why should i care if good buisness for ATI or Dell.

Am i suppose to be happy, we are now going to wait a few weeks!

Soldato
I know about the Dell deal:rolleyes:

Frankly i don't care about Dell or ATI, i want a card, why should i care if good buisness for ATI or Dell.

Am i suppose to be happy, we are now going to wait a few weeks!

to me this is just shear stupidity.

why cant you just wait like everyone else.....it's not like it will change your life for the better once you get it.

this is why company's hold of on item's....to make people like you want it even more.

"get a grip dude ! it's only a graphics card"

Associate
OP
What are you even on about:rolleyes:

For 5th time, i have been waiting nearly 3 months now to purchase a system, with one of these in. Don't accuse me of not willing it wait you idiot:rolleyes:

It's been over a week since i thought these be on sale most places, i resigned to buying a rig without a graphics card in, and get one of these 5850's from some place like OCUK, now it seems no stock.

It's "only a graphics card" no sheeet:rolleyes: but considering im on a GRAPHICS forum & YOU are also, maybe you should leave , or would you like me to post it on the Oprah forum?

Go troll elsewhere you bore.

Soldato
Pay more, play it cool or get played.

Just chill, they'll come around when they're able to. I've been waiting weeks already for the H50 with a 1156 bracket, I can wait months more, I'm going to get it in the end.

Caporegime
Yeah stage 2 is releasing 5850 into wild, stage 3 they'll release 2Gb cards.

Good strategy for maximising sales/profit.

Associate
OP
Well they got till Windows 7 is released, if not back in stock by then. Then i will buy a GTX 285 or something along those lines.

My soft spot for ATi is rapidly becoming a hate spot:D

Man of Honour
Its not a myth - tho I don't have numbers on exactly how much supply is going where - dell gaming/alienware have first dibs tho.

I'm guessing part of the reason 5850 numbers are limited is probably due to the supply depending a lot on the ratio of how many parts make the grade for the 5870.

Caporegime
Its not a myth - tho I don't have numbers on exactly how much supply is going where - dell gaming/alienware have first dibs tho.

I'm guessing part of the reason 5850 numbers are limited is probably due to the supply depending a lot on the ratio of how many parts make the grade for the 5870.

This is the strange bit, we know yields are low, so you'd figure there would be more salvage parts that working. You'd think it would be far easier to get 5850's out as lots of the silicone can't work with all the shaders.

It might simply be a case of checking all the shaders are working is one thing, checking the rest of the silicon for exact amout of it being working is harder and might just be taking a lot longer to get ready.

That or really just a very quick drop off in the silicon between fully working and useless.

Either way, Nutter, again you assumed their would be stock last week, you waited 3 months ASSUMING you could get one instantly. Did ATi once, in that whole time tell you a date for 5850 stock availability in England........ no?

So you're getting upset at your own assumption. Considering the card wasn't launched till end of last week, the idea stock would be in beginning of last week is odd, as of the beginning of this week, theres hundreds shipped, which is going to be quite a lot of the pre-orders, several hundred more this week amongst various stores.

Again, how many cards do you think they should be producing, welcome to a perfectly normal launch for any card, ever, over the past decade at least.

Your expectations being too high doesn't mean ATi are doing badly. :rolleyes:

Soldato
This is the strange bit, we know yields are low, so you'd figure there would be more salvage parts that working. You'd think it would be far easier to get 5850's out as lots of the silicone can't work with all the shaders.

It might simply be a case of checking all the shaders are working is one thing, checking the rest of the silicon for exact amout of it being working is harder and might just be taking a lot longer to get ready.

That or really just a very quick drop off in the silicon between fully working and useless.

Either way, Nutter, again you assumed their would be stock last week, you waited 3 months ASSUMING you could get one instantly. Did ATi once, in that whole time tell you a date for 5850 stock availability in England........ no?

So you're getting upset at your own assumption. Considering the card wasn't launched till end of last week, the idea stock would be in beginning of last week is odd, as of the beginning of this week, theres hundreds shipped, which is going to be quite a lot of the pre-orders, several hundred more this week amongst various stores.

Again, how many cards do you think they should be producing, welcome to a perfectly normal launch for any card, ever, over the past decade at least.

Your expectations being too high doesn't mean ATi are doing badly. :rolleyes:

I am not so sure yields are that bad for ati as if they are going about manufacturing the same way as with rv770 then yields could be pretty good and this article explains why. It pretty much also explains why nvidia may be having a much more problematic time with there huge gpu.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3469&p=3

Man of Honour

Don't think yeilds are too bad - but what is coming through it binary quality wise leaving little margin for viable 5850 parts.

Associate
The myth is that Dell got the majority of the cards: something Dave clearly denies in the post I linked to, shooting down the (in his words) "rediculous rumour" being propogated by the news sites, and in this thread.

That's not say that there wasn't a deal with Dell, but without a reliable source of information, all we can do is speculate.

Back
Top Bottom