In house exercise tips for a fattie.

Permabanned
Hello guys.

To keep it short - I'm over weight and I'm sick of my family taunting me so I want to lose some weight, and I'm wondering if it's viable to do this with in house exercise?

If so, what regime should I use? I am seriously unfit, so only a bit of exercise leaves me feeling wrecked.

I used to be skinny, but I suddenly kept feeling hungry all the time, still do now, so I guess I over ate and it made me put on weight. I'm assumming losing weight will make me feel less hungry.

So is it viable to lose weight with in house exercise and proper diet?

Cheers

Caporegime
Exercise more fatty.

No, wait... :p. In house? I'm not really sure. I guess a treadmill is out of the question? As daft as it sounds if you don't want to get outside (at least now), you could try repetitions of climbing the stairs?

Learn to stretch first I'd say - make sure you don't injure yourself. I'd also say start running (check the sticky for help) as it's the best way to lose exercise, but if you're seriously overweight how does swimming grab you?

Seriously though - you will be wrecked, out of breath, knackered and more when exercising - the plus is it gets easier :).

Not a particularly well thought out post because I'm knackered and leaving work, will hopefully remember to revisit.

Good Luck.

Associate
First thing you have to sort out is your diet. This is really the main way you will lose weight.
Use the following site - http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

This will tell you how many calories you need per day. To lose weight at roughly 1lb a week then you need to have a calorie deficit, so minus that value by 500 and that's how many calories you should aim to consume. With a decent cardio program on top you should look to lose about 2-3 lbs a week.

Cardio wise maybe look at some low intensity running or cycling to start with. When you become more fit then you can also introduce some form of HIIT (http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html)

If you have a gym you can join then resistance training will also be highly beneficial.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the replys guys. Appreciated. I was just thinking about the smaller parts of exercise really like sit ups, push ups etc, but I guess these aren't viable enough for just loosing weight?

I would join a gym, but I'm a bit self conscience at the moment and I just wanted to see how well I could do at home first.

I blame my hunger for being over weight at the moment, because I'm not greedy with food by any means, and I only ever tend to eat wholegrain breads and cereal. I have to eat every 2-3 hours, otherwise I get hungry. I thought it was a blood sugar issue a while ago, so I tested my self over the course of a week and my blood sugar levels were fine, I guess the hunger and the symptoms that acompany it are in my head.

Does losing weight really make you feel less hungry?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sit-ups and press-ups will not make you loose weight. Creating a calorie defecit will. Burn more calories than you take in as mentioned.

Once you have improved your general fitness and gotten into shape and have a good clean diet, then worry about resistance training for muscle. You can adapt your diet to help suit this.

Good news is you can still eat every 2/3 hours, but it's going to have to be less. So take your time when you eat it and don't scoff it down. Give yourself a chance to feel full. Eating regulary keeps your metabolism going as its constantly digesting food, this helps you to burn more calories. You won't have a slow metabolism just because you are over weight.

Somebody will be around no doubt and suggest a good clean diet. List what foods you do and don't like.

No processed ****, buy decent quality foods, they will cost slightly more but are worth it. Cut any crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks and any other crap. Your body does not need them, and it will soon realise this once you stop giving it them. (Assuming you do, but correct me by all means if you dont)

Keep logs of your weight, waist, arm, leg measurements etc as seeing the decrease insize should be a real motivator.

Most of all, keep focused. Hard work and determination will get you the results you desire provided you don't cheat as ultimatley the only person who looses out is you.

Good Luck!:)

Associate
Does losing weight really make you feel less hungry?

I'd say no, I would say however the process of losing weight generally makes you feel less hungry because you become use to simply not eating as much when you say no to having that extra snack eventually you just don't miss it, cut down gradually though and it can be done.

I don't go to gyms for the same reason, self conscious, going swimming however was great, afterall no one can really see you when you're submerged in the water and I went lane-swimming so dead of the morning 7am, people there are too busy getting their swim in before work to care about how much weight you're showing.

Soldato
Diet is absolutely key. For exercising at home, you can get basic rowers quite cheaply if you don't fancy a treadmill.

You say you eat because you feel hungry - this may seem like an odd question, but do you do much at home, or do you just laze around? It's a fact that people eat more when they're bored, and if you keep yourself occupied you're less likely to be aware of hunger pangs.

Lastly, don't underestimate the effect of a good long walk, especially when you're starting out. It all comes down to diet really though - exercise will help your cardio health, but to get the weight off and keep it off, "calories in" is the key feature!

Best of luck matey, good on you for taking some responsibility.

Soldato
get a skipping rope from argos, there bout £5, i been doing it for bout a month. its suprising how much it tires you out and gets you sweating, i do 2 5 min sessions, used to be stopping and starting constant but now i can do it in 1 go. i can go quite quickly now and even do double skips.

you can do it in the house just clear a little space and make sure ur not under any lights :)

Man of Honour
Thanks for all the replys guys. I guess situps and press ups is pointless then! I guess the next thing would be starting to jog?

I wouldn't say pointless but doing a few of them isn't suddenly going to make you fit. Calisthenics are exercises done with just bodyweight or simple equipment so have a look into them - if you're starting from a very low base fitness you'll find it probably provides ample difficulty to be going on with.

Running is good but as The Craig says it is best if you've got properly fitted shoes.

Caporegime
Hello guys.

To keep it short - I'm over weight and I'm sick of my family taunting me so I want to lose some weight, and I'm wondering if it's viable to do this with in house exercise?

If so, what regime should I use? I am seriously unfit, so only a bit of exercise leaves me feeling wrecked.

I used to be skinny, but I suddenly kept feeling hungry all the time, still do now, so I guess I over ate and it made me put on weight. I'm assumming losing weight will make me feel less hungry.

So is it viable to lose weight with in house exercise and proper diet?

Cheers

your diet, sort your diet, the weight will go, don't sort out your diet and exercise will not help you at all.

Loosing weight is 99% about the right diet and 1% exercise, getting fit is 85% exercise and 15% diet, ok I made up those numbers, but they aren't far wrong.

I've yet to see someone eat like crap but exercise loads loose weight, yet loads and loads of people have not lifted a finger in exercise, yet lost stone after stone.

Proper diet, with more protein, more quality fats and less crap carbs will leave you feeling fuller and less hungry. Its carbs, especially high GI cards(white anything, and a lot of stuff listed as wholemeal isn't great for you either), that boost your blood sugar, and crash it hard, its the crash that causes hunger. Carbs also absorb a lot of water, for every gram of carb you eat your body will store 4 grams of water, so eating carbs leaves you very thirsty, and its a very very similar feeling(or can be) to hunger, which just adds to it.

Drink LOTS of water, because anything that is thirst and not hunger, will go away, and it will also fill you up, making your brain think your stomach is full, causing hunger to go away, and will also make your body work better anyway.

Good fats, and protein are things your body gets sustained energy without the sugar lows, and make your body feel full, for much longer.

EDIT:- Skipping is a great idea, but depending on how heavy you are, isn't great on the joints and is incredibly hard, more so than running, so you can find yourself very disheartend doing it, while you could run much further and feel better. Motivation is pretty important and feeling like you're getting somewhere. Skipping is an uber exercise for fitness though, but its not what will make you loose weight.

Soldato
Walking fella.

I know it's tough. But try to get in the mindset of 'going to do' exercise rather than doing it at home.

If you're very overweight, then fast walking should be quite demanding after a few minutes, so get outside and go for a walk. Have a set time to do it, every day if you can. If not, 4 or 5 times a week.

Don't try to drastically alter your diet overight, rather make changes gradually that reduce your total kilocalorie intake. Start replacing unhealthier meals with better alternatives, and reduce your portion sizes.

When you're hungry, try:
-Eating a banana, apple or orange. These are engaging foods
-Brushing your teeth. Seriously!
-Having a glass of water, or a cup of tea

Ant :cool:

Skipping is a good idea then? Might try that with a proper diet.

Cardio is a superb form of fitness development. You'll struggle maintain it for long at the moment though.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for all the replys guys.

I notice, that when I eat fruit, a banana for example, it'll just make me feel more hungry afterwards! Is this because it's 'waking the appetite' ?

Oh, and I'm also going to give skipping a go soon, and I should start walking, I have loads of places to walk to around where I live, so it's a good excuse to get some exercise!

Soldato
Gamer_T easiest way of loosing weight is start off slow, start with a steady 30mins per day building up to 60mins. Some of the best weight loss techniques involve use of all the body hence why running and swimming are usually given as the base exercise to do this.

Put it another way train until you start to sweat, once you are sweating that is the main time that your body will be having a quick reaction. In week one aim for 2x30min sessions for the first week i.e. Monday and Thursday, week 2 step it up to Mon, Wed, Fri week 3 Mon Wed Fri Sat, then gradually increase the times from 30mins to 45mins for the next 3 weeks (on a week 3 plan MWFS) Then up to an hour. Not to miss your point of being shy etc good idea may be to do jogging early in the morning, good idea now its dark (not at night as like i used to you might end up having to threaten the scum that infest the streets) once you get back in from your 15mins of jogging carry on at home doing pushups until failure with a 2min break in between. Star jumps and going up stairs will help, once you are sweating make sure you stay sweating.

Once you have finished your 30mins just do some gentle movements, swings etc as this will stop blood pooling and thus you getting injured.

Now the 2nd biggest part about loosing weight. Your diet. Stop eating crisps, junk etc you can be quite happy for at least a month eating: Fruit, Yoghurt, Bread (with no butter) Breakfast Cereal (<-- this is the Daddy of weight loss imo) use cereals as a substitute for 2meals a day, then have one sensible sized low fat meal. In my experience of advising people i've given these remedies (they've worked on me, one of my mates lost 10st in 7/8months on it, additionally people starting at my old gym told me near weekly they'd lost Xlbs) always seem to work. Your body will be quite capable of drawing all its nutritional needs from the above set of things to eat. Once you start loosing weight quickly i.e. 1st every 6-7weeks (this happened with my mate) it is a tad too quick which means your body is rushing to change its rate of metabolism, this is when in your diet you need to exchange one of your cereal meals every day for another meal. This will help stop you feeling tired (which should happen once your body starts burning through its supplies of fat).

If anyone wants to C&C me on the above you're obviously welcome to, all i'll say is that its worked for me and easily double figure people i've spoke to include a lad who'd been spending £30 a session twice a week with a PT at Esporta and didn't see results, with me he did, quit Esporta and just hoped to run in to me every week lol.

Soldato
One thing that has helped me no end in my pursuit of losing weight is this.

"I am not happy with the way I am so I want to change" from that you realise you don't need to eat when you're hungry and that excercise is needed, even if it is small and your dead after 10 mins keep pushing and buidling it up.

KaHn

Permabanned
OP
Thanks RaohNS, that's superb. When I did do some exercise yesterday, after I finished I was rather shakey for a bit, what causes this? Just my body getting used to it? It's been 2 hours since I last ate (1 slice of wholemeal toast) and now I'm beggining to feel hungry again! And if I leave it for to long I'll start getting symptoms like a slight shake, light headed etc. Unless it's just me being insane ! (diagnosed anxiety)

Last edited:

GHz

GHz

Associate
Hide the TV remote, that way you have to get up to change channel.

If you want to lose the excess weight, how about getting a cross trainer? works both upper and lower body and isn't as harsh as a running machine on the knees and other joints.

Back
Top Bottom