Even More Strange Goings on With My OC!!

Associate
Have had my OC stable with 9 hours of prime, 25 passes of LinX, and an hour of OCCT. But my system always seem to randomly crash when surfing the web, in the end i (with help from members on this forum) pinned it down to my memory and not being able to run at its rated speed, if i lowered the memory multiplier the problems would go away.....or so i though.

Since sorting my OC out only over the last 3-5 days i have been using my system normally for day to day use(without doing all the stress testing stuff etc). But have started to notice a strange thing happening. This has happened everyday for the pass 3-4 days, when i turn my PC on first thing in the morning, or like today first thing from coming home from work, the PC shall boot up fine, login into windows without any problems, but within a couple of minutes the PC will just decide to restart itself with no warning what so ever!. This only seems to happen once a day and first time the PC has been turn on after being off all night. This has happened the last 2 days, and again today, the PC has then been on for the rest of the day (11-12 hours) and never does it again, its as if the PC doesnt like being cool, and once its warmed up everything if fine. Any ideas what would cause such a thing.

I have noticed today, when i logged into windows in the task bar the 'Problem Reports and Solutions' icon popped up so i clicked on it and was greeted with the following window....

iqal.jpg

I have noticed the 'Problem Reports and Solutions' icon pop up a few time but always went away straight away, just wondering if its always listing this same problem. I downloaded the file, but when i went to run it it said there was already a newer version on my system. Would these 2 problems be linked???

Associate
I managed to replicate this issue in the end. I have an i7 920 d0 oc'ed to 4ghz, using the Asus R2E and 6gb Patriot ram. Completely stable at load, but crashed/locked on general web use. In the end, traced the problem back to the motherboard's CPU throttling/power down settings. Turned those all off and the system is now fully stable. Have you tried this?

My settings:
BCLK200
CPUratio 20
DDR1603
HT on
LLC on
[email protected]
QPI/[email protected]
DRAM 1.64v
C1E off
CPU TM function off
Speedstep off
C-state off

Associate
OP
I'll try turn these settings off:

C1E off
CPU TM function off
Speedstep off
C-state off

But wont that cause my CPU to run at 4.0Ghz all the time. And why does my PC only decide to restart itself when i first turn it on, after that its fine for the next 12 hours

Associate
Yeah, the chip will stick to 4ghz. With appropriate cooling, this shouldn't be a problem, and besides, you may gain stability - this is the important bit. As for the restarts on initial bootup, I can't say without knowing more. Could point towards a PSU issue, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. See if the settings above work first.

Associate
OP
Well tried disabling the settings you suggested, by again today my system restarted itself, just after being login for a 1 min! It will now be finme for the rest of the evening, what the hell is causing this, unless its a program Windows loads up in the back ground that my system doesnt like, but then it would do it all the time

Associate
Well, I'm glad your system is now stable for general use. About the restarts, it's hard to say. You can test to see if it's a software problem by booting into safe mode - if it doesn't restart, could be a software issue as you suggest, but you'd need to test it further. If it does restart, could be a bios setting somewhere, an issue with the psu, some piece of equipment or cable that's not properly seated.

Associate
If you put less VCore, the CPU will start cold as seen in CPUZ. If you put in more VCore, the CPU will start a bit hotter in CPUZ. Just try it. I could be wrong though.:D

Associate
[Thread steal]
I've got a cold-boot problem, I'll try upping the v-core as reygjabla suggested and I'll report back when I next cold boot.
[/Thread steal]

Associate
OP
Try bumping your VCore 2 notch.

Tried that, up it by 2 increments, i change it last night before going to bed, so it would be set for when i turn on my PC today. Turn the PC on today, log into windows and restarted with 2-3 minutes :mad:. My new memory should be coming tomorrow, im hoping that will fix it, otherwise im at a lose

Back
Top Bottom