Track days

Soldato
in about 4 weeks I'm doing a Ferrari 355 experience (Mazda, 911, Ferrari and single seater) at Thruxton.... I will let you know.

from the track diagram is looks rather "boring", but then so does Snetterton, and i love that place...

Last edited:
Associate
I suspect you'll find Thruxton to be quite boring. As it's something like bends flat out flat out flat out flat out, lap 2, bends flat out flat out flat out flat out. I honestly wouldn't bother there for a track day.

Soldato
OP
in about 4 weeks I'm doing a Ferrari 355 experience (Mazda, 911, Ferrari and single seater) at Thruxton.... I will let you know.

from the track diagram is looks rather "boring", but then so does Snetterton, and i love that place...

Ah cool, how much did that cost?

Track day in your own car or one of these 'experience' days?

Yeah forgot to say, would be an experience day

Caporegime
I suspect you'll find Thruxton to be quite boring. As it's something like bends flat out flat out flat out flat out, lap 2, bends flat out flat out flat out flat out. I honestly wouldn't bother there for a track day.

The professional drivers just about manage flat out round Thruxton. I doubt very much that any amatuer would be able to even keep a constant speed around the back of the track!

Ive driven Castle Combe, which isnt far from Thruxton, and its a great little track. I will say though, the Experience days are often over priced for very little.

Associate
The professional drivers just about manage flat out round Thruxton. I doubt very much that any amatuer would be able to even keep a constant speed around the back of the track!

Ive driven Castle Combe, which isnt far from Thruxton, and its a great little track. I will say though, the Experience days are often over priced for very little.

Running there in 1996 I turned a 1:31 qual time with my old e21, four hundredths away from then fellow competitor Alan Corfields e36 M3. The sequence is no particular challenge and I don't believe OP will enjoy it half as much as lets say running just about any other UK circuit. The track is just the same today as it was then in layout, albeit with some resurfacing over the years. From exiting Segrave you are accelerating pretty much all the way through Goodwood and Village, then flat through Church (maybe lifting in a road car). I also would suggest that for a first event the track is simply not going to be as much fun as OP might want, and you'll likely be running high rpm's for extended periods.

I honestly believe OP will be bored silly or possibly even a bit frustrated with it, first event or not. Unless OP is looking for a simple track to learn, which is something Thruxton probably is. Overtaking is somewhat hazy as there are no absolute straights either but the briefing should help you there. I'd say avoid but it is your call Jimmy.

Soldato
If you have a big pair, cadwell park

if you want a mix of everything with loads of run off, Bedford gt.

I've done cadwell once, and it was incredible. However it's hard work getting round there and I don't think you can enjoy it without tuition.

I've done Bedford 5 times I think, maybe 6 actually and that's great fun. There you could just do a few passenger laps in someone who has been there before and be fine.

A load of us are going to Bedford on November 21st... Get it booked !

Soldato
thruxton was a bit yawn, but when youre going fast, it was still technical in places

at thruxton they didnt mind me pushing the 997 turbo past 130mph which was fun

Associate
My first track day was recently at Brands Hatch Indy. That's pretty good to learn on with a good mix of corners and being quite short it's nice and easy to learn. Elevation changes are awesome :)

As has been mentioned though, Bedford GT course is supposed to be excellent for learners. that said, this is all worthless as I'm talking about track days and not experience days.

I had a friend who did a Thruxton experience. Porsche Cayman, Aston V8, Formula Renault. He thought it was amazing so I guess it can't be too bad. It is short though so don't expect a full day of hooning!

Back
Top Bottom