Need some upgrade advice please

Associate
Hi

I put together my first rig in March 2007 ready for Crysis but its been unplayable for me to date so not actualy played it yet... frustrating but I want to play it at 2560 x 1600 rezzy on my 30" panel and it can't cope so I just put it off. Kinda hoped a patch would come in and it would be OK lol but that never happened. Anyway, one of my GTX8800's went bang so I am RMAing it. But it's got me thinking, if I upgrade my GPU's or one of them will I be able to play Crysis how I want to, and if so how long will this PC last me in terms of new titles? or am I better off starting again and if so what spec should I be looking at get it right on this panel. I just didn't buy the panel so I could watch it in low rezzy....

Im guessing my CPU isn't up to it also. So same questions regfarding upgrade apply to that too. Or am I better off saving the cash from upgrading and buying a new rig altogether.

Im sure you get lots of these posts and I apologise for that in advance but I really am torn between trying to fix this one up, which I don't know if it is a lost cause, and buying a new rig. Any thoughts?

My gear
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nforce 680 mobo
2 x GTX8800s 750mb GPU's in Sli...one gone pop
E6600 CPU
4gb Geil PC6400C4800MHz DDR2
Dell 3007wfp panel
Vista 64bit

Thanks for your consideration!

Associate
If you wish to save money i'd suggest getting a new cooler and overclocking that e6600, i hear they clock really well. 2x8800gtx couldn't manage crysis??? really? I know it won't run it at max settings especially on a 30" monitor but surely it would be playable after tweaking some settings.

Basically it comes down to how much money you want to spend really. A cheap upgrade would be to just overclock the nuts off that e6600 and get a 5870 then get an i7/i5/am3 setup at a later date.

However if you have say >£600 then may as well get a new rig and salvage things like the HDD to save a few pennies.

Associate
OP
Thx Skippy. I haven't OCed that e6600 yet as the uguru sofware that came with the mobo has issues. I updated bios etc but no avail. Guess I'll take a look at the weekend and try through the bios...something I put off on day one in case I ruin my rig being a noob to OC but I will have a play with it at the weekend.

Crysis was terrible on my screen more a case of spf than fps it was that slow. I could reduce settings and get it playable but thats not how I planned it when I built my rig. Will see what happens with my RMA and maybe upgrade both cards and hope that it's not a waste of cash and increases the frame rate sufficiently.

Back
Top Bottom