Low Carb Food

Soldato
Hi Guys and Girls,

For the past month I have decided that my desk job and general lack of fitness had gotten to a point where I wasn't happy, so from there I have stopped all sugar/carb intake and as such I am starting to struggle to find new food apart from chicken salad and steak salad.

So what I am looking for is and nice low carb low fat food which you use and is relatively easy to cook.

I am staying below the 2500 cals/day and running 10k x 3 times a week (at 50min for the 10k) and in the next week going to start hill/stair training and rugby again after i feel my fitness has improved.

So far I would say I've lost about a stone and feeling a lot better, need to get current weights to do a full dairy thread and progress logging but any help with this would be appreciated :)

KaHn

Associate
Eggs. When I was on a low carb diet I used a lot of omelettes as a filler. Also ate a lot of fish. I particularly like those little tins of Mackerel fillet's in oil.

Also cheese. I wouldn't worry overly about fat content on a low carb diet....have you done any reading on the subject?

Soldato
OP
Eggs. When I was on a low carb diet I used a lot of omelettes as a filler. Also ate a lot of fish. I particularly like those little tins of Mackerel fillet's in oil.

Also cheese. I wouldn't worry overly about fat content on a low carb diet....have you done any reading on the subject?

Not really, but I use the simple equation of eat less + train more = weight loss.

As I understood it pretty much all things like potatoes/bread/pasta will give problems with this, also would prefer to stay away from cheese.

I seem to be doing ok/well on how I am going ahead just need some nice food as cajun chicken salad is getting tiresome :).

KaHn

Associate
As I understand it a low carb diet changes way your body deals with fat by entering a state they call ketosis. It's worth reading up on.

Soldato
OP
Seems to be the general opinion, both side of the arguments is that it can lead to muscle degradation which shouldnt be a problem as i will be doing high intensity training again.

The other concern is liver problems but that hasn't been confirmed.

KaHn

Associate
...and potatoes and other high carb vegetables. I think parsnips are about the worse thing you can eat from a low carb point of view. It's the cutting out of spuds that I found the most difficult.

Man of Honour
Rather than cutting out carbs completely which is pointless as part of a healthy diet, I'd suggest you stick to low GI carbs. It's the way the body uses carbs that can lead to fat etc... Don't be fooled, your body needs carbs for a healthy diet. Ketosis is all very well and good for short periods of time, but frankly, why shock your body into a state when you can achieve it by eating the right foods, rather than excluding a certain food group altogether?!

Man of Honour
In the OP he states he's cut out all sugar/carb intake. :)

I've always lived by a low carb intake, but I do still do have a sensible intake of them. :)

Besides, I've answered the question for him.

Soldato
OP
In the OP he states he's cut out all sugar/carb intake. :)

I've always lived by a low carb intake, but I do still do have a sensible intake of them. :)

Besides, I've answered the question for him.

As I have said I am still new to this, so to me no carb and low carb was essentially the same, I know now that it's not.

Generally things like orange juice, fruit, beans on occasion and soup all contain carbs but at a guess I am probably under 100g of carbs per day.

All sugars in the shape of sweets/pop all carbs in the heavy sitters like potatoes and bread.

Sorry for not being clear but my question was really about recipies for low carb food.

KaHn

Man of Honour
Low GI carbs... i.e. cous cous, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potato, low gi fruits (apple pairs etc..), chickpeas, lentils.

Of course green veggies are fine, as are white veggies - don't exclude them!

Associate
how about porridge, slow carb so less likely to turn to fat, add rasins/apple/banana etc for flavor. Filling and good.

Turkey is pretty good.

FF and others have covered most of the rest.

You can get away with between 20 and 40g of carbs a day to stay in ketosis from what I have read. Depends on the individual. You need to replace with fat as the body switches to fat for fuel after around two weeks. From what you have said, this is not what you are doing. If you wanted to go down this line take a look at CKD which cycles carbs sofr a short time each week to restock the muscles and so give better protection against muscle loss.

Doing a low carb diet and 100g / day is not too low along with loads of cardio will still result iin muscle loss. Seen the marathon runners ?. Depends on your ultimate goal as to what you want to do. You mention rugby so I would have thought a bit of muscle would be good but without info on current size it is hard to offer anything more tailored.

Around 7Kg is a great weight loss for a month although the recommended safe loss is around 2 lbs a week and at 6 lbs over during the month would indicate that muscle has gone as well. Lifting weights and keeping a high protein with reasonable carb and good fat diet will help stop that. Easiest mistake to make is going too low on the diet and very high on cardio.

The other option is continue as you are then build up muscle after you have lost the weight but why work hard to regain what you may already have.

RB

Man of Honour
Also squeezing 1/2 to a whole lemon into a glass of water 10 mins before eating helps to produce bile and therefore helps to prepare the stomach for better digestion/breakdown of fats - plus it's delicious and it's good for you too! :)

Associate
Also squeezing 1/2 to a whole lemon into a glass of water 10 mins before eating helps to produce bile and therefore helps to prepare the stomach for better digestion/breakdown of fats - plus it's delicious and it's good for you too! :)

You know what... I keep forgetting to do this BUT it such a lovely drink.

Associate

Nice one FF. Must give that a go. Like lemons and lemon tea. Gotta watch the acidity on the teeth enamel though if done regularly.

Cheers
RB

Soldato
Hi Guys and Girls,

For the past month I have decided that my desk job and general lack of fitness had gotten to a point where I wasn't happy, so from there I have stopped all sugar/carb intake and as such I am starting to struggle to find new food apart from chicken salad and steak salad.

So what I am looking for is and nice low carb low fat food which you use and is relatively easy to cook.

I am staying below the 2500 cals/day and running 10k x 3 times a week (at 50min for the 10k) and in the next week going to start hill/stair training and rugby again after i feel my fitness has improved.

So far I would say I've lost about a stone and feeling a lot better, need to get current weights to do a full dairy thread and progress logging but any help with this would be appreciated :)

KaHn

Your doing a lot of running there and you mention you are going to start playing rugby. So very low carbs is not the way to go as your performance will be rubbish.

Firsty you just need to change your eating habits and replace the rubbish with good food. Veggies/fruit/chicken/fish/cous cous/swewt potato/oatmeal/eggs/cottage cheese/ mixed nuts/ seeds etc

Structure your diet better and eat 6 meals a day if you can, evenly spread through the day.

Have most of your carbs at breakfast, pre workout and postworkout as these are the most critical parts of the day especially post workout and brekfast.

Also a good place for more advice: www.muscletalk.co.uk

Associate
When i worked in Canada for a year i lost loads of weight. I had bowl F special K with dries cranberries, Apple for lunch, then usually steak (some form of lean meat) and salad and a pud. Lost **** loads of weight. Though skiing every day also helped, being an ski lift operator an all :p

Back
Top Bottom