Non-System Disk, Press any key

Associate
Hi, What it is. I was on the Seagate web site, and downloaded this utitity ms-sd1a, which checks for updates to your drive. When it bootup an application is supposed to open, but it does not. What happens now, when the Dell splash screen appears, the next screen says, 'Non-System Disk, Press any key'. Well I do this and the systems starts up. How do I get rid of this Non System disk message.Ps I used that Seagate 'Download SD1A Firmware update utility':confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like it's trying to boot from first a non-system disk (sorry to state the obvious!), then goes to the bootable drive next when you press a key. Check the boot order in the bios.

If that's not it, I'd hazard a guess that the firmware utility may create a partition on your boot drive to update the firmware from, then erases it - leaving the bios trying to boot to the missing partition. If that's the case, they probably just didn't test it with dell's idiosyncratic bios is all.

Soldato
Most likely is the you have a usb stick/hard drive plugged in, and unplugging it will solve the issue.

If the partition table on the drive is gone, bad luck. Hope you have a back up of your data

Associate
Most likely is the you have a usb stick/hard drive plugged in, and unplugging it will solve the issue.

If the partition table on the drive is gone, bad luck. Hope you have a back up of your data

Or non bootable floopy disk in the floppy disk drive.

Associate
OP
Or non bootable floopy disk in the floppy disk drive.

I dont have an floppy drive.

I haven't got any of them

If that's not it, I'd hazard a guess that the firmware utility may create a partition on your boot drive to update the firmware from, then erases it - leaving the bios trying to boot to the missing partition

Went into the BIOS, and the boot order is ok, it's set to boot off the hard drive. Went into Disk management, and found no partition.

Associate
Yes, but you must set the order in which your hard disks boot. I too have had this problem when I once accidentaly tried to boot my PC with one power cable left out of my RAID hard drives. Once I reconnected it, I tried to boot again but I got the same error as you. I had to move the hard drive to top of the hard drive list in BIOS to make it work again.

Farore

Associate
OP

You might have something there, my BIOS setup is as follows,

Boot Order: 500GB on SATA Port 0

320GB on SATA port 5

Cd Rom

First Boot; Hard Drive

Second Boot: Hard Drive

Third Boot: CD Rom

Don
if the boot order is correct

download this ISO

http://partedmagic.com/

burn with imgburn

boot from cd, see if you can view it in there..

if drive seems empty (gparted is a partition manager, you can view your partitions in here), then use testdisk (from that cd) to recreate the partition table for that drive

Associate
OP
Hi, Got it at last,and I did not even have to reinstall my Op to fix it. What i did was to boot off my Vista disc, select Repair your Computer, select Command Prompt, then typed in bootrec /fixmbr, then rebooted and it was fixed. Remember to leave a space between the c and / .

Soldato
Ive had this a few times, luckily i have a system backup drive which i just boot off, then clone it back to the drive with Acronis true image

Back
Top Bottom