IE not displaying SharePoint properly

Soldato
Think this is the best place, it's not a design of the site issue, it's my computer not displaying the site properly. Our company intranet uses SharePoint, but somewhere along the line, my IE seems to have stuffed up and isn't displaying the pages properly.

I've ruled out the design of the site, everybody else's computers seem to work fine. Also, it displays (mainly) fine in Chrome, Opera and Safari. However, going back down to IE7 didn't change anything so I've since returned to IE8.

Here's what things look like:

IE7:

ie7d.png

IE8:

ie8u.png

Safari:

safari.png

Chrome:

chromef.png

I've tried lots of things, resetting all IE settings, uninstalling, removing add-ons that it would let me and more that I can't remember. SharePoint doesn't work properly for the file handling stuff in Safari or Chrome, so I can't just use them. Incidentally, that's giving JavaScript errors, but I'm hoping if I can find a lead to fix the displaying, other stuff might fix itself.

Any ideas?

Sorry about the small images, can't risk putting too much on.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure, that's not in my control, but I can ask. It works on other IE8 systems and I'm sure it's worked for me on IE8 previously, I'm just not sure what I did to break it. Also, by the same token, why would going back to IE7 not fix it for me?

Soldato
OP
So other IE8 users on the same local network do not suffer this problem? A you a domain user or is it a standalone workstation?

Nope, tried a couple of other users on other machines and they're fine. Domain user. I can't work out when it broke (I use IE as little as possible) so using System Restore or such won't help me.

Soldato
Hmm that's really odd. Have you tried as another domain user on your PC? Or even using a local computer account?

The last time I saw something like this was a dodgy web proxy (i.e. a setting that will be automatically configured in IE via group policy, which would explain why it survived moving from IE8 to IE7) but if other users are fine it seems to rule this out. :confused:

Soldato
OP
Hmm that's really odd. Have you tried as another domain user on your PC? Or even using a local computer account?

The last time I saw something like this was a dodgy web proxy (i.e. a setting that will be automatically configured in IE via group policy, which would explain why it survived moving from IE8 to IE7) but if other users are fine it seems to rule this out. :confused:

I'll try another user when it becomes convenient for me to log out again.

Looks like you've personalised that page and set the web-part chrome to "Title and border" as opposed to just "Title Only".

:confused:

EDIT: Tried a different user on the machine, same problem. Got no proxies either...

Last edited:
Soldato
:confused:

EDIT: Tried a different user on the machine, same problem. Got no proxies either...

It's not that then. :)

Sharepoint allows you (assuming you have permission) to make a personalised version of a page with your own settings for the various web parts or even your own different web parts on the page.

But as you have the same issue with a different user, it won't be that that's the issue.

Associate
Hi, my name’s Feran and I’m with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team. Did you try enabling the compatibility mode when in IE8? It is the broken page icon next to the refresh button on the toolbar.

Soldato
OP
Another thing to add, the drop down menus on file libraries are broken, which means I'm having trouble with the version control aspect in not being able to view document histories and such. Not sure whether it's related, coincidence if it's not. When I click where a menu should be, I'm getting an "error on page" relating to 'ows.js' and the line highlighted below.

Code:
function CreateMenu()
{
    if (! IsContextSet()) 
        return;
    var ctx = currentCtx;
    if (itemTable == null || imageCell == null ||
        (onKeyPress == false &&
         (event.srcElement.tagName=="A" ||
          event.srcElement.parentNode.tagName == "A")))
        return;
    IsMenuShown = true;
    window.document.body.onclick="";
    [COLOR="Red"]m = CMenu(currentItemID + "_menu");[/COLOR]
    currenMenu = m;
	if (ctx.isVersions)
		AddVersionMenuItems(m, ctx);
    else if (ctx.listBaseType == BASETYPE_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY)
        AddDocLibMenuItems(m, ctx);
    else if (ctx.listTemplate == LISTTEMPLATE_MEETINGS)
         AddMeetingMenuItems(m, ctx);
    else   
         AddListMenuItems(m, ctx);
    OMenu(m, itemTable, null, null, -1);
    document.body.onclick=HideSelectedRow;
    return false;
}

Back
Top Bottom