Most Poweful Low Power System-Spec Me

Associate
Hi, You may have seen my other posts on here asking for some help for a new system but this one is for a mate of mine :)
He is looking for the most powerful yet energy efficient system he can get for £500
I was thinking a 4770,AMD Phenom 905e but all suggestions welcome.
He is looking to play games such as COD 4,Cod WAW e.t.c
He has a 550w psu and a 22'' lcd and also a OS and k/board and mouse.
Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Atom single core uses the least amount of power for a "mainstream" arch. The Dual core version with an ION chipset is still VERY low power, but can playback BluRay and is have decent. If low power is your thing, then the Atom is best.

Associate
hmm oc dont really do the whole green amd cpu thing like they have done before maybe if you choose a AM3 cpu and just configure the setting to be energy efficient, as for the atom I thought that was more of notebook thing, might be slightly under powered for bigger apps

Associate
list001.PNG

Associate
OP
I too am looking for some help. I currently have a 550w psu and i am looking at getting a new pc, the specs are going to be phenom 955,4gb Patriot G-series,MSI 785gm-e51 and a 5850. Will my psu handle this or do I need a new one

Soldato
What is the exact make and model of the 550W PSU? It would be a bit of a waste specifying a super efficient system if the PSU ends up kicking 40% of its input power out as heat.

Associate
OP
It is a thermaltake tr2 550.
I would be willing to drop the CPU Down if it meant that I didn't have to buy a new psu.or would I be better off buying a new psu first so that I get a better efficency rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a thermaltake tr2 550.
I would be willing to drop the CPU Down if it meant that I didn't have to buy a new psu.or would I be better off buying a new psu first so that I get a better efficency rate.

If your friends main puropse for the rig is to save power (maybe save money or less heat) then I would definitely upgrade the PSU. You get PSUs these days that are a touch over 90% efficient.

However, if he is just trying to build a PC which will work with that 550W PSU, then he can easily get away with an i5 rig + a 5850 Graphics card, 550W is actually a lot of power.

Back
Top Bottom