• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Charlie: 260 and 275 prices about to plummet

D13

D13

Associate
I think that individual seems to have some kind of irrational hatred of nvidia. That kind of biased journalism is something I find difficult to trust

Soldato
What sort of prices will the GTX 260 & 275 be when the prices are dropped (thats if they are going to be dropped), and when is it going to happen?

I think I will wait a bit untill I order my spec if it's true.:D

Associate
I think that individual seems to have some kind of irrational hatred of nvidia. That kind of biased journalism is something I find difficult to trust

And what does have it with the simple fact that :
1) you nearly can't get GTX285 anywhere (at least in my country), they are more rare than HD5870 these days
2) GTX275 is also pretty rare
3) the pricing of these cards absolutely doesn't reflect their current value - 285-337€ in my country for GTX285 vs 319-360€ for HD5870. 199-218€ for GTX275 vs ~230€ for HD5850.

The shortage is artificial - either NVIDIA didn't planed the GT300/GF100 delay, so they didn't ordered enough GT200 chips, or they did it on purpose. Is there any difference between those two for you as customer ? No.

The fact is - GTX275 and GTX285 are overpriced.

Soldato
OP
I think the shortage could be true. Been trying to get hold of a Zotac GTX 275 AMP! Edition. Has been quite difficult. So it could well be true?

I think the AMP edition comes with a high factory OC, those type of cards don't hang around long when a new gen of cards is looming.

Associate
Nvidia are really regretting ****ing off charlie now, journalists are the last group of people you want to **** off. The pen is mightier than the dollar.

Soldato
The guy really does hate nvidia theres no doubting that but i have to admit what he says in that article makes a lot of sense to me. The problem a lot of people have with him though is not the information he comes up with in his articles its the way he puts this information on the page with all his nvidia rage.

Soldato
The guy really does hate nvidia theres no doubting that but i have to admit what he says in that article makes a lot of sense to me. The problem a lot of people have with him though is not the information he comes up with in his articles its the way he puts this information on the page with all his nvidia rage.

I agree as well

Soldato
Update:

Apparently Charlie's saying 'no wait, my bad, Nvidia have really ****ed up here, they're retreating'.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10...x275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/

Which more or less imitates the overall message of the much more nicely toned Fudzilla article on the issue.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15831/1/

So both sides of the rumour mill are apparently predicting the untimely demise of GT200. I guess we'd better all hope GT300 is actually going to be with us in a reasonable time period, otherwise I don't see those radeon prices going anywhere. :\

Caporegime
Its not really his fault they've been nothing but bashworthy for the past 2 years :p

he's had a go at other companies, but the worst companies get it the most and they keep on giving him ammo.

If they were honest about failures, he'd have had nothing to say, but Nvidia lied, lied, lied and lied, and still won't admit what every one of there partners has admited, while they also magically paid off 250million dollars to fix the problem that isn't a problem according to them.

Anyway, as for prices the 5770 looks set to beat the 275gtx, the 5770 is launching at £130, the 5750 is supposed to beat the 260gtx while costing probably £100-110. You can bet that faster cards, with lower power consumption, great idle power(15W apparently), lower load power, DX11, eyefinity and it goes on and on, will sell better than Nvidia cards.

Would anyone on here get a 275GTX over a spanking new 5770 for I don't know saving £10? I think the 275gtx will have trouble selling at all at £120, and will struggle for sales even at £110, and the 260gtx will have to hit £90 and below.

THe killer is, for what seems like the next 3 months Nvidia would be making a loss on basically every single high end sale they can make. A pretty big loss on 260's.

As for retracting, its not really, they are saying they will stop production in a couple weeks, which isn't surprising, actually it is, for 2-3 months(maybe 6 months or more for high/mid/low end) they won't be giving OEM's cards, which is insane, making a loss but keeping contracts and cards going out is one thing, giving up, selling almost nothing for 3-6 months, that is huge, and very very bad, VERY bad.

But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of stock in warehouses now, trickling out to entice buyers to buy while they are available, which is what the first article was refering to.

The stock problems TODAY, are artificial, that really has no bearing on the fact that in a couple weeks they'll stop production on new cards, one has no connection to the other.

But as he's getting at, even if the GT300 does make it sooner than expected in large numbers, you're talking about a £300 + part minimum, and even a salvaged 260gtx/8800gt/5850 type card will be way above £200. The problem is, they'll normally sell maybe half a mil 285gtx type cards a quarter, while shipping 5-10mil cards priced under £200, a segment they are about to all but abandon for 6 months.

That is huge news, realistically, thats the biggest news to hit the GPU market, in a decade.

Remember while the 8800gtx was out, ATi were making money and selling X1950pro's and below, by the bucket load. They weren't shipping the low sales uber high end part for 6 months, but they were shipping everything else. The news here is, they won't ship, much of anything from £80-400 brackets, and in a couple months, their £0-80 cards will be utterly worthless and likely get scrapped also.

The upshot of not selling these cards at a loss, is literally, not making a loss. They can be saving themselves 10's of millions, hundreds maybe but not bothering, though they still have running costs, staff to pay in the meantime. However, TSMC will be angry at them, with a huge amount of chips they were expecting to be made, not getting made anymore. LIkewise, while Nvidia won't actively make a loss, their market share will take a nose dive, if they just aren't selling many cards for 3-6 months, infact, they'll plummet, and that will hurt them everywhere.

Dev's won't want to be making TWIMTBP games, and releasing, when Nvidia aren't selling anything over a 48SP crap gaming card. Dell and co will have no cards for orders and shift to AMD who would gain a massive stranglehold.

Thats why I said surprising, making a loss while maintaining contracts with OEM's, their manufacturing partners, and keeping market share going is a huge thing to give up, like monumentally huge thing to give up. Not only will TSMC be hurting from lost production, what about XFX, and every company making Nvidia cards who will have smeg all to sell.

THe markets not ready for Nvidia to become a bit part player, we want competition to spark innovation, Intel will help in the future but they aren't close yet, at all, sucks for all of us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom